Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbor Frieght tools

You have to be selective. I like to shop there for stuff that is hard to screw up: loggers' chain and clevis, welding rods, and such. Wife bought me an LED flashlight that attaches to my head (for all my bright ideas).

Best purchase was the furniture moving dollies rated at 1000 pounds. Regularly $15, on sale for $9, plus a $2 off coupon through email. Took the casters off and used them for a material cart I needed. Easily loaded about 800 lbs. (10 sheets of plywood) on the cart and the casters were great. They don't lock, but I don't need them to. Other casters rated at #250 or more were retailing for about $7.50 each.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

2. The 2HP Dust collector is excellent when you can catch it on sale. I also picked up the furniture dollies, excellent for moving cabinets around the shop.

They also have great prices on smaller supplies like clamps (excellent), latex gloves, air tool accessories, etc..

HF Framing gun

Thanks for all the responses, they will be helpful. If someone could advise on one more tool specifically, Harbor Frieghts framing guns. My old Senco 325 will only shoot up to a 12d nail. Since hurricane Rita passed through last fall, they have increased code requirements around here.
    We will soon be building a 30x60 shop for my son, so I will need a gun that will shoot 16d nails. I don't do any framing contracting anymore so my senco will still take care of any misc. framing nail driving on other projects, so I will just need a 16d gun for this one project. Does anyone know how their framing guns hold up and more specifically which gun do you have. I noticed at least 4 or 5 different models the last time I was in their store, ranging in price from around $70 - $150.

HF stuff is hit and miss. Some items are better than others, but there's higher variability overall than with most brands b/c their QC is poor. Their liberal return policy helps offset the risk. With some items there's very little price advantage to offset the risk, plus the prices fluctuate alot, so you really need to know their pricing to take advantage. I like the $99 mortiser, but my 18 gauge nailer just broke last night after firing less than 100 nails. I've had poor results with their drill bits, but I think the Pittsburg bar clamps for $2-$4 each are great. The 6" digital calipers are great. I've had items like flash lights and hair clippers that were a total waste of money, but the DP vise for $4 is a winner. The allure of cheap tools lives, and HF is the Amsterdam of cheap tools!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Nail guns

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse
    Thanks for all the responses, they will be helpful. If someone could advise on one more tool specifically, Harbor Frieghts framing guns. My old Senco 325 will only shoot up to a 12d nail. Since hurricane Rita passed through last fall, they have increased code requirements around here.
    We will soon be building a 30x60 shop for my son, so I will need a gun that will shoot 16d nails. I don't do any framing contracting anymore so my senco will still take care of any misc. framing nail driving on other projects, so I will just need a 16d gun for this one project. Does anyone know how their framing guns hold up and more specifically which gun do you have. I noticed at least 4 or 5 different models the last time I was in their store, ranging in price from around $70 - $150.
    Paul,
    I have not used one of their nail gunsbut for about $200-225 you can get a Porter Cable FR350 nailer. Many find these quite reliable (I also have one and have shot over 20,000 nails through it with no problems) and parts/service are easily accessible (dont know about ordering parts from HF).

Check the local ordinances. in many areas subject to hurricaines and high winds, the codes require round head nails (not clipped) . Reasoning being, a full round head has more resistance to pull through the wood than a clipped head with smaller area. better to check on this in advance rather than get a gun you have you sell and replace.

HF Sucesses

2" nail gun, ($24) working for a bout 4 years now
    Biscuit Jointer ($29) working fine for about 3 years
    Electronic 6" Caliper ($19) just purchased but a life saver on current project
    Fostner Bit set (~$20) going strong
    Aluminum bar clamps (~$7) no problems

Various other things like gloves, sanding discs, disposable brushes. I think it's a good place for some items, especially the tool you'll use occasionally

A nailer is something that falls in the category of "a lot of use" since a project like a large outbuilding or house will require extensive use. In that case my own choice would be to buy a name brand like Senco or Porter Cable.

YMMV

Paul,

For me, stuff there is truly hit or miss. I have their 15 amp 40' auto retracting extension cord which is great...

I've picked up pnumatic connectors which were absolute crap.

For your one time use... why not just rent a gun? Or keep an eye out for a used one. The used one you can keep or sell when you're done.

If you were near me... I would likely loan you my Bostitch N80C. I picked it up used for about $150 and I've had it for over 15 years....

Tks
    Joe

Echoing the sentiment of many others, they do have good buys. I have a HF brad nailer that I bought because it could shoot shorter brads than my PC nailer. It has worked fine whenever I've needed it. If you've got a local store, buy it, keep the receipt, and try it. If its junk, take it back.

I have been a HF customer for at least 12-13 years. In terms of power tools, I buy HF when I need a "second" tool to back up my primary higher grade tool...such as their $20 trim router and their $12 angle grinder. I also have backup hammers, pliers, prybars, tape measurers, drill bits, extension cords, etc. that HF does well enough for the price..... and it is always handy to have several of these kinds of items scattered around the shop, the barn, the shed, the basement, the kitchen drawer, the office, the vehicles. My wife has her own set of HF hand tools so she doesnt need to use anything of mine. HF tools also make great loaners for neighbors and relatives. I can be a nice guy thanks only to HF. I will also buy HF for those tools that I don't plan on using very much (such as metalworking stuff and oddball wrenches, etc.). My justification here is that it is better to have a cheap one than none...especially if it is very rarely used. I have had pretty good luck with most HF bar and pipe clamps....which come in handy when the Besseys are all deployed and I still need more clamps. I have HF wrenches and hand tools in the trunks of my vehicles. If they get stolen, so what. But they are there for emergencies. Sometimes I will buy HF when I simply can't afford a nicer tool and I am not sure that owning the high end version is justified. My HF lathe is a good example of that. It served me well until I got really serious about turning, then I sold the HF for 50% and upgraded. Money well spent, I thought.

HF has some really good deals on certain kinds of consumables, such as nitrile and latex gloves, disposable paint brushes, acid brushes, bungee cords, rope, tarps, buffing accessories, etc.

On those rare occasions where I have had to return something, HF has been outstanding in refunding or replacing. So I must conclude that I am a big fan of Harbor Freight. HF has it's place. I don't have a problem with not "buying American", since HF is strictly for secondary stuff and perhaps gets 5% of my tool and shop purchases...........and, every time I visit, I see American citizens earning their livelihood there.

All that said, I also firmly believe that for major power tools and heavily used tools of any kind, you should strive to buy the very best you can afford. That is also the case for any tool that depends on a fine cutting edge, like chisels and most saw blades. If you are really on a budget, consider used tools ahead of the third class HF stuff for what's important.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Here’s my take on HF tools after trying a couple of them. Ya get what ya pay for. If you’re not expecting too much, you won’t be disappointed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I bought one of their HD drill presses(BT model). Don't use it a lot; but it seems to bed reasonably well built....although not very pretty....and has not given me any trouble, yet. I bought one of their inexpensive angle grinders...about 20 bucks...and every time I use it, it sounds like it is coming apart. It gets used about once a month for light duty stuff. Were it to be used on tough jobs or on a daily basis, I'm sure it would be trash in a hurry. Some of their stuff is OK and some of it is junk. If I were using tools to make a living, believe I would invest in higher quality products. For hobbyists, a lot of their stuff is more than adequate; but some is quite disappointing. Trick is figuring out which is which!!

If you register online they will pester the life out of you with coupons but they'll save you money.

I have found the furniture dollies to be worth much more than the $15 I paid. Also bought stapler/brad gun which works well. I have a PC brad nailer which is better but doesn't shoot staples.

Also have a small touch up gun which is very good.

If I were making my living with these tools I'd buy better but sometimes these make sense.