Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official sale ....Dining table and chairs

Official sale ....Dining table and chairs

Yesterday I recieved the deposit for my dining table and chairs from my client. I will be making a new table and chairs for our home. The table is pretty well designed if I don't change it The chairs are being sketched as we type ...I am thinking to build these with pics during the construction process as before. Chairs though allow for numerous mistakes....by me and anyone watching....so if you use my techniques just be careful and check for comfort by making a prototype...I will make one also. I will start with full scale drawings...templates...etc. So we will learn together...I never get one just right the first time....comfort is real important...It is one of those Abe Lincoln ....4 hours two sharpen the axe 2 to chop down the tree ....kinda projects
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

So will visitors to the Singer compound be dining at a folding table and chairs for the time being?

Can't wait to see the new designs and especially the construction techniques.

Mark, congratulations on the sale of the table & chairs! I'm looking forward to following your progress on designing & making the replacements!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    So will visitors to the Singer compound be dining at a folding table and chairs for the time being?

Can't wait to see the new designs and especially the construction techniques.
    The agreement is she can have the old ones when the new ones are done...so it works out good...

Congrats Mark...I'm looking forward to watching you build the replacements...

- Marty -

Mark

Great news on the sale. I hope to stop by during my next trip and enjoy watching the craftsmanship that you have shown on the creek. I will bring the liquid libations.

Yes, do post the pictorial on the chairs, Mark!!

(And in case you are forced to deliver the table and chairs early...at least you "know" someone in the restaurant business!! LOL!!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I definitly want to see a Singer Chair and how it's made.

Congrats to Mark. For those interested in chairmaking generally (and not just Mark's chairs in particular), I posted a writeup of my week at Brian Boggs's class in the hand tool forum (with a link to pics).

Talent can cause it's own brand of trouble. Congrats.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thanks....if you intend to make chairs from my thread start with full scale drawings and a prototype..and keep your fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Thanks....if you intend to make chairs from my thread start with full scale drawings and a prototype..and keep your fingers crossed
    I'll be "cut n and paste n....".........

Yeah, what Roy said!!! Nothing like getting front row seats to a Master at work! Can't wait!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Congratulations on the sale, Mark. I also look foreward to the Tutorial on your new table and chairs.

I just revisited the pics of your current table and chairs, and I had forgotten how beautiful they were, but I do have a question though. How did you join the thick curved center sections of the chair backs to the rear leg uprights to allow for expansion on that wide piece of the walnut back, yet keep them fitted tight and not show any of the wood's movement? Are they joined with a tongue & groove with the tongue cut shorter than the groove and only glued at the top portion of the tongues to keep the top edges even and allow expansion toward the bottom, or did you use some other method?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

PS: With all those new chairs to build, are you going to coerce a little help from Ryan and maybe Break in the new SIL on a little woodworking?
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    Congratulations on the sale, Mark. I also look foreward to the Tutorial on your new table and chairs.

I just revisited the pics of your current table and chairs, and I had forgotten how beautiful they were, but I do have a question though. How did you join the thick curved center sections of the chair backs to the rear leg uprights to allow for expansion on that wide piece of the walnut back, yet keep them fitted tight and not show any of the wood's movement? Are they joined with a tongue & groove with the tongue cut shorter than the groove and only glued at the top portion of the tongues to keep the top edges even and allow expansion toward the bottom, or did you use some other method?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

PS: With all those new chairs to build, are you going to coerce a little help from Ryan and maybe Break in the new SIL on a little woodworking?
    Norman,
    Walnut is a great wood in its stability.....the rear leg to back is held with 3 smaller tenons and West Systems.....I know it breaks the rules...but it worked great. Even when you run your finger over the joint it is completely flush ....there has been no creep in over 5 years. The bottom style to rail on a French door with glass panel like the ones I have been making also has about 10" of cross grain interface....and no problem