Thread: Adhesive advice

Adhesive advice

Yesterday I posted my Saturday's lathing disaster. Today the LOML and I drove to Spokane. I purchased some cherry and some tigerwood. This evening I turned and began the finishing of a tigerwood stem for a glass goblet. Tiger wood turns well and I'm happy with the figure in the wood. I will take photos and post later.

Question...I need to adhere the glass goblet to the stem I turned....Would you use epoxy or RTV as an adhesive?

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

ken, i`ve had real good luck with dap alex-plus caulking......it`ll stick bricks to glass...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Ken, there is an adhesive specifically designed for this application. I use it for attaching mirrors to wooden pieces. It resembles silicone and indeed that may be what it is. I know that aquariums are held together in the corners with silicone. Silicone will definitely bond glass to wood and provides some flexibility as the two materials contract and expand independently. My.02....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Ken, you can try an adhesive called "E 6000", Very good stuff, and will adhere just about anything to anything. I have seen it at Walmart, and all the chain craft stores.

Or, try this website:

www.thistothat.com

Ken I have used both Silicone and the E 6000. Both work well with glass.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Check out a site called www.thistothat.com .. me I use clear silicone sealent...
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."