Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Jet Mini Lathe Owners

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Attention Jet Mini Lathe Owners

As has been previously mentioned on this and other forums the Jet Mini Lathe has always had a tailstock creeping problem which sometimes requires relocking the tailstock from time to time.

Keith Outten has designed a square washer/block to replace the round one under the tailstock. He sent me one a couple of weeks ago. I only got around to installing it yesterday and all I can say is "Wow". It makes a huge difference in the stability of the tailstock. Thanks Keith ! ! !

I am sure Keith would be willing to make some more of these to sell if you are interested.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken-
    I was thinking about that upgrade the other day. Keith mentioned he might be able to come up with a few of them for SMC'ers. With Isabel and all they have been through lately, I'd forgotten to PM him regarding his offer. Thanks for reminding me and for the endorsement.

Keith,
    If it's not too much trouble, I'd like a square washer to replace the round one. Let me know how much $$.

Thanks!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Nope, nope, nope! He can't do it! He's supposed to be making some of these up for me first!

I think these are a great idea! And I do believe there are a lot of people out there who could use these. And not just Jet Mini owners. I think the little Mercury has the same problems.

Keith, let us know when things are back to normal for you!

Scott.

Jet Mini Lathe Tailstock Blocks

Well thanks Ken for the recommendation. I just received the material I ordered last week to make another bunch of the clamp blocks for the Jet Mini's. I hope to have about ten of the blocks made this weekend. As soon as I can order a power feed for my mill/drill I should be able to make them a little faster.

The blocks are $24.95 each, (free shipping) plus tax if you live in Virginia. You can order just one for the tailstock or a set if you want an additional one for your tool rest. I think the stock bracket on the tool rest is fine but if anyone wants to replace it just order a set, both blocks are identical.

What's New !
    I have received permission to build the KISS Tool Rests designed by James Johnson. James has shipped all of his jigs and fixtures plus a few other goodies to me so that I can duplicate them and start building his tool rests. As soon as I build my own fixtures my Dad and I will be building the KISS wood lathe tool rests for those interested and we will offer custom services for you power turners as well.

All of this is in response to the email I received last month, lots of you wanted to order the blocks and tool rests. As soon as I have everything ready you will be able to order directly from my web site. I have been giving lots of thought to other modifications to my Jet Mini, I will be sure to post my ideas as each phase of my "Tricked Out Jet Mini" is completed. I wil try to provide drawings or sketches of each item for those of you who want to build your own goodies.

Keith:

I've have lots of tailstock slip in the last while with my Jet Mini, and I'd like to buy one of your tailstock blocks.

Can I send you $$ by paypal??

Barry Konkin
    Richmond BC
    Canada

I have the Delta Midi lathe which I thought was nearly identical to the Jet with a few minor differences. I have had no problem with tail stock slippage. Am I just lucky, or is there a difference between the two in this respect?

Me Too Keith!

Keith, as I discussed with you previously, I am interested in a tailstock block for my Mini Lathe as well. Just let me know how to send payment, I will get it to you ASAP. I have noticed a substantial amount of tailstock creep on my Mini.................and no matter how tight ya cinch it down, it still creeps. Let me know, and thank you for providing us Mini owners a chance to share your great idea. I appreciate it Keith!

Jet Mini Tailstock Clamp Blocks

I haven't forgotten anyone, I have already made and shipped a bunch of these blocks, I can't believe how popular they are. I have another batch of ten almost ready to ship and I just put Mark, Barry and Scott on the list. Sorry about not getting these on my web site and having the PayPal setup, I'll get Jackie to work on that while I finish machining the blocks.

I will email each of you as soon as I have this set of blocks ready to ship.

Keith,

Put me on your list for two. I am in Puerto Rico right now but when I get back next month I will come out and see you and settle up.

Thanks
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Thanks Keith!

For those of you who are interested, the KISS toolrest that Keith will now be making is a great toolrest! I have three of them of different lengths, and I need Keith to make me at least one or two more. Don't miss out on these toolrests, they are a true classic.

Scott.

OK, where in the heck was I when all this discussion for the KISS toolrest came about?! Exactly *what* are all you guys swooning about? Pictures? Article? Both?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Kiss Tool Rests

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    OK, where in the heck was I when all this discussion for the KISS toolrest came about?! Exactly *what* are all you guys swooning about? Pictures? Article? Both?
    John,

I can't believe we sneaked this one by you

It's true, James Johnson the original designer of the Kiss Tool Rests for woodworking lathes is allowing me to build his line of tool rests. James sent me his custom jigs and fixtures for me to duplicate and a sample tool rest. I have just about finished tooling up to start producing the Kiss Tool Rests and have completely stocked my shop with enough material for almost any size lathe and any manufacturer. I will even be able to offer shaft sizes for metric lathes and custom lengths.

There is an article at Wood Central about James Johnson and his simply elegant design. I don't have any pictures yet but I will have some very soon. Stay Tuned

Both of my email boxes are bulging at the seams from people who want the Jet Mini Lathe Blocks, I can't wait to see the response from the new Tool Rests.......

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    John,

I can't believe we sneaked this one by you
    Well, you did indeed! Maybe it was during the chaos otherwise known as "the move"! You can be sure I'll check it out now, though, because I'm not really too thrilled with the toolrest(s) on my current setup. Thanks for the info!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jet Mini Lathe Blocks PayPal Link

For those of you who want to order the tailstock blocks for the Jet Mini Lathe via PayPal here is the link;

Link Removed

Click on the Tailstock Block for Jet Mini Lathe "Add To Cart"

All orders received this weekend should be shipped on Monday morning.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-31-2007 at 12:50 PM.

jet tialstock block

Keith:

Have you been able to ship the tailstock blocks yet?