Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framing Nailer

I have had several framing nailers, started with the old SN3 senco, bought
    a new SN4, and about 10 or 12 years ago got a Hitachi. Anybody want an old SN4? The Hitachi has framed several houses with never a breakdown other than having to have a nail pulled out from hitting a nail.
    Kind of wads them up in the chamber when you hit another nail head. Once you get the bent nail pulled out it works fine. Never had a O ring
    replaced. Buy a cheaper gun and you'll spend more than the difference in
    parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    I had a Hitachi 83a I bought used off Ebay -- ran great, used it to frame an addition, this was a tank. But I now use a Paslode Cordless. I disagree with the comment "it's not a serious tool" .. If I framed for a living, I would not use the Paslode, it's not fast enough. But the average homeowner who builds a shed, does remodeling, etc.. it's the perfect setup. No compressor, no hose, etc.. the biggest issue I have is that I don't use it often enough and occasionally when I go to use it the battery is dead and it's not a quick charger.. Therefore I bought an extra battery and keep it as a spare. You can also get full round head nails now for the paseloads too, as some locations don't let you use clip head nails. I've shot maybe 30 cases of nails through mine building half a dozen sheds for myself, scouts, neighbors, etc.. plus 350' of fence this month. Never missed a tick. You get about half a case per butane cylinder and another plus is the Paslode fits into some much tighter areas than long air powered stick nailer...
    Michael,

Perhaps my comment was too rough on the Paslode cordless. It worked well while I was using it. The only problem I had with it was the excessive heat I was using it in caused the glue to melt on the clips of nails. That caused a few misfires.

My real 'issue' with the gun is if you're doing a LOT of framing. There's no way it could keep up with my corded Paslode with the bump trigger. I can shoot some fast nails outta that thing.

So, I agree...if you're only doing occasional sheds, or maybe some interior framing, the convenience of not being tethered is well worth it.

- Marty -

Jim,

I have a Bostitch N80CB coil framing gun that I picked up 6 years ago when we were doing our addition. I found a number of instances when the size of the gun made it possible for me to get it into places that a stick framer wouldn't fit into.

One comment about the framing guns - I converted mine to single-shot mode. I know the guys who frame all the time like the multifire abilities of the guns, but I prefer to place the gun and shoot. It'll still bump fire, but only 1 nail at a time and that's just how I prefer to use it.

Rob

Michael,

I have to agree with you. I have a Paslode cordless framing nailer and a cordless trim nailer. I've had no issues with either gun. I've used my framer to build several things, including my deck, a horse run-in for my SIL and to replace termite eaten floor joists and a wall in my house.

For me, the greatest thing about the Paslode cordless is it's portability. This became readily apparent when we built the run-in in the middle of a field -- electrical outlets to run a compressor are pretty scarce out there. It was also nice to be able to crawl around under the house without having to drag a lot of air hose around.

It's nice to just be able to drop in a battery and go shoot without having to lug out the compressor, wait for it fill, and pull around a bunch of hose that always seems to get snagged or wrapped around something.

Keith

PC's are OK, skip the Sencos and Bostiches unless you are an extreme part time user [had them both and they don't last in everyday use]. I have the DW which is made by Paslode [or whoever makes them]. I prefer that one over every other one I have ever owned.

John Russell Guest
    I have been looking for a multi-purpose nail gun, one for LIGHT framing ( buid a shed, some deck repair, etc...) and not a full time framer. The research I did suggested that the bomb proof full time framers is the Hitachi NR83A2 that folks at JLC and Breaktime seem to think is the one. I chose the Hitachi NV75AG framing/siding/fencing coil nailer beacuse it is supposed to work for light (not full time) framing and other chores as well. Like anything, it seems to depend on how much full time use you plan for the tool.