Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arts & Crafts sofa progress and a new question

Spectacular work. Really great.

Wow. If the LOML saw this post I would not be allowed to leave the shop until she had one just like it. Wow.....did I say that already? nevermind, it bears repeating. Wow.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Very nice. An excellent example of the craftsman look. The upholstry goes wonderfully with the wood and the room too.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Cool Question

Beautiful work. I now have a new project in my list of things I need to make some day.

Question for a newbe: What router bit did you use on the miter joints?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jay, that's really sharp! Wonderful job on the woodworking and your cushion guy made it really stand out! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great Job! Thanks for the detailed pix showing the QSWO posts. Excellent miters!

I did a mission style kitchen set about a year ago, and the cahirs were a *&%$ to upholster. I used the 2" webbing, stretched it over the frames, and to make a long story short I over-tacked the webbing so now the webbings are all starting to tear at the tacks. So I am faced with taking each chair back to the shop, carefully remove the fabric and starting all over.

It's a professional upholsterer for me next time!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Beautiful work, Jay... both you and the upholsterer did a great job! So just out of curiousity, what's your guesstimate for the number of hours that you put in on this project?

Dan

Bob, the finish is just Watco. I may sand on a more durable finish (like a spar varnish) on the top cap because it's like having an end table right there--it invites setting drinks on it. For now we will try to be religious about using coasters.

Dan, probably 40-60 hours on the job. I had a couple of other projects going on at the same time, so I could be way off. Really it's a straightforward project: lot's of frame and panels, mortise and (loose) tenon, and the legs with a lock miter joint. The latter was the toughtest part by far. It takes some pretty sturdy jigs to cut them cleanly with a router. The only other issue is shop space.

Don, it is a lock miter bit. Mine is probably a Freud.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Very nice work, very well done. I spend a lot of time looking at original Craftsman/mission/A&C furniture and your sofa, or is it settle, is as good as any I've seen.
    Once again, very nicely done.

Very Nice!!

Jay -

That...........looks absolutely perfect! The woodwork and fabric is awesome! Standing "O" for this one!!!