Thread: Using the bowl finishing tool........ Video.....

1. Using the bowl finishing tool........ Video.....

OK here is the video of me using the Eli Avisera Bowl Finishing tool, made by Hamlet, HTC416

Here if you click on the link you get sent to YouTube.com and you can watch the video.

I have no affiliation with Hamlet or Eli other than I bought the tool and he showed how to use it at the Demo in July, I'm getting great results from it.

This all may be the reinvention of the wheel for some of the pros here, but for me it was a revelation, or even a revolution.

Hope you like the vids.

Cheers!

(as of 12 minutes after the hour here, it is still processing on YouTube, should not take much longer)

Verynice vidio, stu.

Very cool Stu. That's the very first time I've ever seen anything turned on a lathe. I realize that you didn't actually "turn" anything but you took wood off of the workpiece while it was turning so I get the idea.

I've read about you turning folks for awhile now, including the mishaps, and have thought about the actual turning process. My suspicions have been confirmed after watching your video. If I was to try turning I'm sure that I would break tools and equipment, have tools thrown across the room and get impaled at least once. You turning folks a much more talented than I could be. Give me an unguarded blade over a spinning lathe any day.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

nice... I try to get a single facet on my bowl gouge... hard to do cause I dont have any jigs though. But I have it sharpened like yours... works wonders. So how did you meet this Eli? Just took his workshop?
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ben Werner
    nice... I try to get a single facet on my bowl gouge... hard to do cause I dont have any jigs though. But I have it sharpened like yours... works wonders. So how did you meet this Eli? Just took his workshop?
    I sharpen the finishing tool freehand.

I'm a member of FEWS Far East Woodturning Society, they have 4 to 6 demos a year, the last one in July was Eli Avisera. I know he was at the last big AAW meeting thing, as he told us about it, and he had one of them green turning smocks on.

Eli turning, with Suzuki san in the background, he is the fellow that puts most of these on, he runs a business selling lathe and tools etc.

Cheers!

Stu that tool looks like it is angled toward the tip on both sides like a skew, is it?. Also, is it ground straight across on the end or angled?
    You can't leave footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt!

7. Slight angle on the tip.

I put up pics on this thread..... Post #4

Should clarify the tool, this video, I hope, shows how it is used.

Cheers!

Ok, I've been trying (without much success) to McGuyver such a tool from an unused 3/4" skew chisel. Basic shape forming, no problem. But...

When I sharpen my scrapers, as near as I can tell, I get a burr on the top edge, i.e. what ends up being the cutting edge. (That sounds wrong to me, but it agrees with what I saw in the article on negative-rake scrapers in the AAW journal.)

The previous thread about this tool talked about sharpening it upside-down, which would seem to put the burr pointing the wrong way (on the wrong edge of the #1 bevel) from where the drawing shows it. What am I missing?
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 08-21-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

9. When I say upside down, I mean that the top of the tool goes down and the bottom of the tool goes up, OK?

The tool is NOT held at 90 to the stone, but at an angle.....

Here look at this pic of Eli sharpening it.........

Notice that he is well below the centerline of the stone, and the tool is held at an angle, this leavea the burr on the bottom edge of the tool (which is the top of the tool, as he holds it upside down.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Notice that he is well below the centerline of the stone, and the tool is held at an angle, this leavea the burr on the bottom edge of the tool (which is the top of the tool, as he holds it upside down.

Does that make sense?
    Ok, I guess...haven't tried it that way. If I flip everything in that picture upside down (above the centerline, angled up), it looks like roughly the same tool/wheel relationship I use for my scrapers...except that the wheel is turning the other way relative to the tool.

(I assume that what he's grinding in that picture is what you call "bevel #1" in your diagram.)

Does the grinder put a burr on the edge farthest from the centerline of the wheel regardless of which way it's turning?
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 08-21-2006 at 4:49 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks Stu. Enjoyed ALL your videos!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

12. Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Ok, I guess...haven't tried it that way. If I flip everything in that picture upside down (above the centerline, angled up), it looks like roughly the same tool/wheel relationship I use for my scrapers...except that the wheel is turning the other way relative to the tool.
    I guess so, if you want to stand on your head

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    (I assume that what he's grinding in that picture is what you call "bevel #1" in your diagram.)
    Yes, when he grinds the #2, the handle is much higher

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Does the grinder put a burr on the edge farthest from the centerline of the wheel regardless of which way it's turning?
    Dunno, maybe, ya, I guess it does, but I'm just copying what Eli did.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker
    Thanks Stu. Enjoyed ALL your videos!

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce, I hope they were at least entertaining