Thread: Question on Porter Cable 890.

Question on Porter Cable 890.

I have a question for any owners of a Porter Cable, model 890 router.

I picked up one of these routers off of the clearance table at the 'Borg a few months back. I used it for the first time yesterday, and this bad boy gets hot.
    I mean like "Holy Hot Potato Batman" hot. It seems to work fine though, but it gets really hot, and stays hot for quite some time after use.
    I was running a 5/8 straight bit at the time, and routing baltic birch ply.

My other routers are Porter Cable 8529's, and they don't get this hot.

Any comments,is this normal?

First I would like to say hi to everyone and that this site is very informative and fun to read. I have the 892 and I have the same issue. I have it in my router table and it has gotten so hot that I had to use compressed air to cool it off so I could finish my doors! It works fine otherwise. I'm not sure what the story is but I am thinking of returning it and going Bosch.

My PC gets hot too. This is because the motor isn't breathing all the saw dust.

I think they made it to take the heat.

"I was running a 5/8 straight bit at the time, and routing baltic birch ply. "
    National summer temps in the 90's, doesn't take much to get a router in to the hundreds and too hot to touch.
    They do run hot new, however, and if the bugger heats up and its brain fails you have a problem. Would get PC's take before doing anything rash.

Might be that you are overworking the tool? BB is racalcitrant and cuts >1/4"/pass can heat up any router. How deep is your cut and how new your cutter?

For the moment: Not to worry.

Routers

Pat.

The cutter is fairly new, and I was using the individual ply's as a gauge. I was setting the depth to two layers of ply,approx 1/16th-3/32nds. on each pass. The glue in the plywood was definitely creating some of the heat. That was some tough stuff.

It is smaller than the 8529's I have, so I may have been pushing too fast. It still seems like a nice router though. I'll slow it down from now on.

There is a recall on that router, but I don't know the specifics, even though I have one in my router table.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Norton
    There is a recall on that router, but I don't know the specifics, even though I have one in my router table.

Safety Recall on PORTER-CABLE® 890 Series Routers

1/24/2006

PORTER-CABLE® announces a safety recall on the 890 Series Routers (Models 891, 892, 893PK, 894PK, 895PK and 8902). It may be possible, under certain circumstances, for the motor insulation to be abraded, creating a potential shock hazard. The model numbers and affected serial number ranges are:
    http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=5983&p=1009092

I have 2 of the 890's

My 2 890's both get very hot to the touch (you cant hold your bare hand on them) even in moderate use, but I havent had a problem with running them hot like that for extended periods. I just put on a glove when changing bits and go on. No problems.

I also have a Bosch which I use for above the table stuff that I like too, but the PC's are very nice

I bought one when they came out, had the motor changed on recall, and it sits on the shelf for that very reason...it gets too hot to hold at times. I much prefer my old tried and true 690's.