Thread: Round top square bottom...bad idea?

Question Round top square bottom...bad idea?

I'm trying to design a side table to sit next to the rocking chair in the nursery. LOML likes the look of the pottery barn "Sleigh Pedestal Side Table" img13l.jpg.

I don't have the time or the talent at this stage of my hobby to do a rounded apron design. (Baby due in 7 weeks, and I just started the crib...) So, using that as insiration for my design I thought that maybe I would keep a rounded table top but make the rest square. The more I think about it and look at other tables, I'm probably headed in the wrong direction, right? LOML likes the round look. Any suggestions for a better looking design? Should I just go with square all around? Or is there an "easier" way to do a round apron that i won't need to laminate and bend and learn on the fly.
    BTW - the wood will be alder, finish will be a dark cherry stain with lacquer.
    Thanks for any sugestions you may have in advance.

If you have a bandsaw, or access to one, you can probably saw the curved aprons in that pic starting from 10/4 lumber.

Another approach is to buy bent laminated parts. From Anderson International (www.aitwood.com), you can buy drum shells (full cylinders), half cylinders, quarter cylinders, and the like. You may be able to buy one and cut your pieces out of it.

A third approach is to buy curved aprons intended for round tables. For instance, Burak Designs (www.tablelegs.com) offers curved solid aprons in several diameters. I think I've seen plywood ones from some other supplier -- Rockler?

Another thought... How 'bout a top which is somewhat between a rectangle and and a circle? To explain what I mean, start with a rectangle. Now bulge the edges out to make them curved. But don't bulge them out so much that the thing becomes a circle. With that kind of top, you maybe can get the curves your wife likes, but still make a simple rectangular base, and not have them clash too much. Or you can use curved aprons (produced with one of the suggestions from my previous post). The curve of the aprons doesn't have to exactly match the curve of the table top as long as there's a couple of inches of overhang.

Great suggestions but.....My lumber supplier only has 4/4 alder...I don't want to deal with glue lines on a glue up of them...

The drum cylinders sounds interesting...would probably need to veneer the alder on that...hmmm, not sure if I'm up to that task (or have the proper tools) I have to think about this one...is there another way I'm not thinking of?

The table is only 19" dia, so I think the solid aprons will not be quite right...I will look into the rockler thing.

I like the ideas....keep them coming, it's helping the creative juices.

Here's two sketches of the last idea. One has the top on the table, and the other has it removed so you can see the apron detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The current issue of Fine Woodworking (October 2006, believe it or not...) has an article on an A&C table on page 56 that you could easily modify to simulate the PB table you show. You'd need to deal with some angles on the ends of the aprons you'd add, but it would be a very interesting project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The current issue of Fine Woodworking (October 2006, believe it or not...) has an article on an A&C table on page 56 that you could easily modify to simulate the PB table you show. You'd need to deal with some angles on the ends of the aprons you'd add, but it would be a very interesting project.
    Thanks Jim, I took a look online at the article. I'll have to do some thinking and planning. LOML is a designer herself, maybe she'll like the A&C look. (On the Fine Woodworking topic, I mailed in my supscription about a month ago, still haven't got the first issue of the subscription. I've been holding off buying the last issue (Aug), assuming that it would be the first one sent to me. I really wanted that issue, now I missed it. I hate having to now buy a back issue. Missed it by 1 day. That just blows.)

Jamie, I like the sketches you did. Thank you. I'm going camping this weekend, I think I may try to play with sketchup on my parents laptop if it rains. Much easier to get an idea across in 3d than my ugly sketches. Some of your ideas, some of Jim's, some of mine and LOML....I think it should turn out pretty good.