Thread: Shop Fox W1741 Jointer

Shop Fox W1741 Jointer

Now that it has been out for a while, I would like to hear opinions on the W1741 Jointer. I am thinking about purchasing a new jointer and trying to decide which one to get. I am looking at shop fox, grizzly, jet, powermatic, and Sunhill. I just want to get something that is good quality and will last. Would love to hear opinons and reccomendations on a jointer. Thanks

Does anyone have any info?

Any reason you aren't aiming for the Griz 0490?

Aside from the initial shipping probs, I really haven't heard a whole lot negatives about it. Actually, I've seen a ton of gloats and recommendations for this product. I see you are looking at the shopfox for $50 less off e***. I'm not sure i'd do that considering the substantial amount of positive responses going for the G0490. I know they're made by the same company, but why the Shop Fox? Just asking is all. I'm an advocate of going with a proven winner, and the G0490 (after the initial shipping probs) seems to be that model in the price range you are looking at.

I can buy both the grizzly and the shop fox locally. I can get the shop fox for $630.00 and the Grizzly is $750.00.

IMHO they come out of the same factory. You'll do fine with either. I'm very happy with my G0490.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mortenson
    Now that it has been out for a while, I would like to hear opinions on the W1741 Jointer.
    The only negative I've heard on the W1741 is with the swivel castor, it doesn't lock into a level position when raised for moving. Btw, the G0490 has the same problem and it's my understanding that there's a fix in the works for it.

For all intents and purposes, it's identical to the G0490 with the color being the real difference. They have been very well received and it's on my short list too.

Larry