Thread: Help selecting wood for a multi wood project

Help selecting wood for a multi wood project

Hi,
    I starting to think about my next project. I want to build a small coffee table with a storage box underneath. All the other furniture I built for that room is Oak stained Mahogany.

So, I want to use a light and dark wood and could use some help deciding what might work well.

Thanks.
    If you go through a whole day and didn't learn something new, you wasted it!

I've always liked the look of walnut and maple, I've also been looking at beechwood. Maybe walnut and beach wood or Mahogony and maple of mahogany and beechwood.

Well...do you want the new piece to feel like it's "part of the set" or want something more eclectic from the rest? If the former, I'd use a combination of material with the same coloration as the existing pieces (oak or ash tinted appropriately) and ash for the lighter field and other aspects. The reason I mention ash is that it has a similar open texture as your existing oak, yet will generally be lighter in color when left in its natural state with an optically clear finish. (Usually water borne)

If eclectic is your desire...there are so many great combinations. Walnut and maple like Don mentions, especially with figured maple in the fields is a wonderful combination.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Choice made!

Hi,
    I have made my wood choice. I bought a piece of "Blood Wood" and I will be mating that with "Soft Maple". I'll see if I can get some pictures of the wood.

Pictures of wood

Blood Wood

That sounds like a good combination of woods. Good contrast but in the same color family. Need pictures of progress and final table.

While I was typing the first part, you put up the pictures. Good looking wood.

I'm partial to walnut and cherry, however walnut and maple would be a greater contrast.

It will be at least a week before I can start this project. I will try to create a photo project log.