Thread: Well Cover

Well Cover

This is kind of a cross between woodworking and home improvement, but I'll give it a shot. I looked around but have not found many (any) good pictures or ideas for a well cover.

Basically, we have a steel well head sticking out of our lawn. I'd like to make it look like an old well with a wooden cover. I have some flat slate stone that i can build up in a ring about 1.5 feet high around the well. I would like to make some kind of wooden cover for it to make it look like an old hand dug well. Does anyone out there have any pictures or ideas that may be of help?

Thanks,

Frank
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford

You mean something like this ?

Oh and welcome to the creek.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:08 PM.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking on here for a long time and this place is great.

That is one idea that I had, but I am leaning more closely to a shorter stone ring and a flat cover for it. I would then possibly put a fake antique looking hand pump on there. Something like this:

http://www.plumbingstore.com/handpump.html

I want to do something wooden for the flat cover to mount the pump to but want something more decorative than plywood. Not sure if I am making any sense here.
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford