Thread: Starting them out young

Starting them out young

Yesterday my 2 year old grandaughter decided to join me out in the temp. Shop so after I unplugged all of the tools I let here wander around a little to see what she would do.

Attachment 45578Attachment 45579Attachment 45580

I thinks she'll be spending a lot of time with "Papa" as she grows older..
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:08 PM.

My, My, ain't she pretty!

Watch that one Don, she's got the makings of a heart breaker already. My Grand kids love messing around in grand dad's shop. Even helping them with projects now that they can see over the work bench. You are a blessed man!
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

(Pic number two)

MMMmmmm...mmmmmmm....slobbers and sawdust...........good stuff.

They've got tool kits for kids now Don. Real tools for real woodworking. She could make her own blocks. Keep her learning and she can make her own rocker when shes five.

WTG Don.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Looks like she's already developing that critical eye for detail. Board selection and accurate measurements, she'll be a master by 10.

My daughter (4 1/2) got the Home Depot kids tool package. It has a drill that spins, a circular saw that works, hammer, nails, "wood", screwdriver, saw, handplane....

I was out in the backyard working on something and whipped out my cheap-o, use it on everything, don't care, freebie Hartville handplane to level off some glue joints on some plastic wood for the spa.

She was out there watching me and immediately went back into the house and found her own toy handplane from the Home Depot kit. I about fell in the spa when I saw her with it as she proclaimed, 'I got one, too, Daddy!"

It blew me away that she could equate the two and remember that she had one!

One thing I've learned about kids: they are about a 1000 times smarter than I ever thought they would be....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My 2 both go straight for the sawdust too

My 2 both go straight for the sawdust too. It makes more work when they are in the shop, but it sure is worth it

I know about the HD tools set, sent one to my grandson 2 years ago. This little girl will get one too when she's a little older. Right now she just likes to hang out with grampa. My son is determined that she'll also learn how to work on her own car.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I know about the HD tools set, sent one to my grandson 2 years ago. This little girl will get one too when she's a little older. Right now she just likes to hang out with grampa. My son is determined that she'll also learn how to work on her own car.
    Don, that comment "she just likes to hangout with Grandpa" says it all. Great pictures.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Don.........Excellent gloat!

My daughter was v/p and president of 2 different auto clubs at 2 different high schools. She has a degree in automotive mechanics and is no knuckle dragger! Nothing wrong with girls or women learning this stuff! My oldest son was a cook in the Army. I had a line I used to use...."My daughter's got a degree in automotive mechanics...my son's a cook.....where'd I go wrong?" Used that once too often.....a well respected woman told me...."You didn't go wrong! Both of them have enough self confidence to do what they want and aren't initimidated by "gender" ties to specific jobs.".......took the humor out of the line...I quit using it....

Teach your granddaughter well Don!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is just great Don! Keep those photos somewhere!

Corey