Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much is a James Krenov plane worth?

How much is a James Krenov plane worth?

Go to "the auction site", and do a seach on James Krenov. He is apparently selling wooden block planes for astounding prices.

Oh, you have to look under "completed auctions".

I wasn't planning on bidding on it, but watched it to see how high it would go.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Hi Martin, Chuck Nickerson here,

from Deneb's handtool class. Well this auction explored the limits of what I won't spend. I've printed it out for the next time my girlfriend harumphs abount my spending $475 for the L-N #8.

The value of these planes is entirely due to the fact that Mr. Krenov himself is making them, that the production is probably very limited, and the buyer has a chance to own something "somewhat affordable" made by Mr. K. This is really not an unusual phenomenon for any item made or owned by someone famous or well respected. I wonder how much a block plane owned by Jimmy Carter or Elvis might fetch? I recall bidding a few hundred some years ago on a blockplane made by the Roycrofters.....didnt get it and probably just as well.....but the rarity and the provenance of the tool commanded the price.

I think that another motivation for a potential buyer might be the opportunity to assist Mr. K to continue to earn a living...since apparently he does not produce furniture anymore. Now perhaps if he produces a plane a week for sale for the next couple of years, the prices will drop enough where a few of the rest of us might end up with one.

Try buying one of his furniture pieces. The market speaks for itself. You can buy other planes nearly identical in style and perhaps of comparable quality from unknown makers for next to nothing.
    Last edited by Roger Bell; 08-26-2006 at 12:09 AM.

Huh...I wondered about this very question awhile back (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38592) ...guess I have an answer now.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson
    from Deneb's handtool class. Well this auction explored the limits of what I won't spend. I've printed it out for the next time my girlfriend harumphs abount my spending $475 for the L-N #8.
    Hi Chuck, good to hear from you. Yes, well above my limit as well. Makes the LN's look inexpensive by comparison.

Roger, I am not sure that JK needs the cash, or his son-in-law, who appears to be running the auctions. Yes, I realize why they cost so much, but for $1200, they could look a little nicer than this one does. Heck, it didn't even have a Hock blade in it! I thought it was funny that one guy retracted his bid for that reason. Steve Knight makes some planes that look beautiful and probably cut wood just as nice or better, and his are actually affordable! (Not that I have any.)

I just thought it was interesting to see what someone will pay, and I am sure his furniture is worth big bucks, too.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

6. Hi Martin, price is relative. The amount charged by Jim for his cabinets was below what some students wanted to try/do sell theirs for. This was a source of friction within the school.

That the man is remaining active despite not being able to continue building the cabinets is wonderful. That the plane opened and sold is a plus.

Take care, Mike

I have two of Steve Knight's planes and they are quite wonderful.

I can't see paying $1200 for a Krenov myself, but it is a chance to own a piece of history from a noted planemaker who doesn't have a whole lot of time left to make planes, you know?

If I could afford it I wouldn't even think twice about it. I understand that there are other planes of better quality out there, but James Krenov is a legend and I would happily pay that (if I could) out of respect and appreciation for the man and his contribution to his craft.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I think you buy it as a piece of art....you should use it....but it is a rare and special piece and it is hard to value something like this.....there are awful paintings for a lot more money and hotel rooms for more.....now where is my Opus I and the beluga caviar
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I think that most miss the point when they look at one of JK's planes and comment that it is unfinished or poorly made or not made as nicely as one of Steves ...

There is a freedom in these planes. For JK the only thing that mattered was the performance. Looks are irrelevant. Some woodworkers love to work their tools, love the looks of the tools, admire their tools ... For JK all that matters is the Work in Progress, and the plane is just the means to an end.

The true value of these planes lies not in the price obtained at auction, and not in the value to a collector (although this is why they will be purchased). The true value lies in what the plane represents.

Regards from Perth

Derek

"A thing is worth whatever the buyer will pay for it." --Publilius Syrus: "Sententiae" ca. 50 B.C.

12. I read (I think it was in a FW article/interview) where he said that making them is a
    simple process once you grab the basics and then said that he would never be
    interested in making one for selling. But what the heck, there's no sin in changing one's
    mind. I think it's a good investment, especially if it's a limited run.

I had the idea that these were planes from Krenov's collection of what I assume are his users. That would make the plane worth much more to me than if it were one that he merely made for sale.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I had the idea that these were planes from Krenov's collection of what I assume are his users. That would make the plane worth much more to me than if it were one that he merely made for sale.
    That was the idea I got as well, and I agree. I just didn't think it would go that high.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

15. I like that cocobolo one he built shown in the Handplane Book. Something about it's simple
    crude,bandsawed look as opposed to polished plane appealed to me. He takes alot of
    pride in his work and these wouldn't be of any lesser quality than the ones he built for
    himself.
    Last edited by Javier Gonzalez; 08-26-2006 at 9:11 PM.