Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Question

Lathe Question

During a long week on the road with my work I ran across a Jet 1442 a guy was selling. He wants $800 for it. New is $999 delivered. He said he only turned 4 table legs and legs for 6 chairs. His wife told him to either use it or sell it because her car was going in the garage if he wasn't using it. So he has it for sale. My question is the motor. It looks to me like a accident waiting to happen especially if using a donut chuck. Also when sanding it looks like it picks up it's share of dust. So is this a problem with the dust and pieces hitting the motor housing?

I went yesterday and looked at a brand new Delta 46-715. The gentleman bought it and it is still in the crate. He had a stroke the day before they delivered it. He is in pretty bad shape and his wife is selling it for $550. I like the looks of it a little better because of the position of the motor. I have seen some bad reviews on this unit. Reviews from units bought this year say Delta says they have fixed the problems and put out the type 2. This serial number says it is a type 2.

Both of these look like decent units. I just like the lay out of the Delta better. Just doing some looking. Any info would be appreciated.

I have been having problems with the C-man lathe. It has been fixed twice and now has another problem. The service man is due Tuesday. The first time it had to be fixed parts were backordered for over 5 weeks. The second time it took a little over 3 weeks. It is starting to get old real quick. When it works it works good and I really like the way it handles.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, can't help yah on the lathe questions but sure sorry to hear your having trouble again with the lathe. That stinks. I think I would be taking that bad boy back and getting a refund as it has been down more than up unless they will swap for a new one that isn't one that has all the recalled parts on it. Good lucky buddy!

Corey

Hey Bernie I can't help you on either lathe but I'm thinking that you're into this woodturning abyss so deep now that you ain't getting out. So I say mortgage the house, sell off a few kids, write some bad checks or whatever it takes and just get you one of those big bad powermatics or a oneway and quit sneaking up on it. .
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 08-27-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Bernie, I had a 1442 before I moved up to the 3520a. It is a pretty good lathe with some good and bad points. So far as the motor, it is TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) which means that you shouldn't have to worry about dust, other than blowing it out occasionally. I can't say anything about a donut chuck as I never used one on it. The only thing I didn't really like was the slowest speed (about 450 RPM as I recall) is a bit too fast for anything very much out of balance. I did chase it across the shop once. The Reeves drive can be tricky, as the shaft has to be clean or the pulley will hang up and you lose power when changing speeds. I never used the outboard turning ability because of the slowest speed and the thought of chasing an even larger bowl blank. The swivel head will make it harder to line up the drive center and live center. Finally, IMHO, I think $800 is a bit high unless he is going to toss in some extra goodies. I think you could find this for $875 if you shopped around. Having said that, I still liked the lathe. Were I in your position and looking to upgrade in the $800+ range, I think I would look around for a used Jet 1642 or Nova DVR. I think you would be much happier with either one f those and might be able to locate one in the range of $1000-1200.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I think the Delta is a good lathe for that price. I sold mine for $300 and as far as I know he is still turning on it today.

Hi Bernie

I have a delta 46-700 and it works well for me. I looked on the internet and saw a few reviews on the 46-714 they all appeared to be mostly positive the new woodwoeker summed it up as follows

“If you are in the market for your first lathe or upgrading, the Delta 46-715 deserves a hard look. It brings a full set of capabilities and heavy-duty construction that insure a long, useful and trouble-free life in the busiest of home wood shops. The 14" diameter and 40"-length capacities mean the 46-715 can handle a huge range of projects and will not limit your growth in turning.
    You can buy cheaper lathes but with a street price of $649.99 (3-10-2005) finding a machine with this kind of quality and capability will be somewhere between very difficult and impossible.”

Amazon has it for $649.00 + $99.00 delivery

All the reviews for the jet were positive I think the jet has a larger motor.

It was 999.00 at Amazon.

hope this helps some

You could get both
    Myrel Willeford

Round and round we go where do we stop??????? STOP??????? why stop.

It's all about the sandwich you want Bernie.

Would you like mayo or mustard for the last lathe you'll ever buy?
    Only the Blue Roads

Bernie,

I have to agree with Andy on this one. Mayo or Mustard and you'll stop fixing and upgrading your lathe. I know, I used to own a Jet 1234 and the difference the 3520A made? It's like driving a horse and buggy, then upgrading to a full blown Cadillac. Slow speed on the Mayo or Mustard is "slow" and any where in between. Once you get one of these? You'll save money on upgrades and repairs. Just my experiences there Bernie, but the final decision is your to make. Best wishes to ya buddy....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bernie, what kinds of problems has the Craftsman lathe been giving you?
    I'd like to know what to keep my eyes open for on mine. I'm sure hoping to at least get it to last until I can afford to buy something a bit more yellow or white, and so far, it's humming right along.

- Vaughn

No opinion on the Delta I just do not know anything about it.
    As far as the Jet goes the guy sounds way overpriced I would not pay much over $550 for a 1442 used.
    It can be tempting to jump quick but keep your eyes out and you can find some good deals.
    Mike Vickery

Bernie, if I could spend your money I would order you a nice new Mayo or Mustard lathe. When it was time for me spend MY money, I bought the 1442 because that was what I could afford and considered it the most bang for my bucks. To date it has served me well. It is vibration free, smooth speed changes, and I love having the swivel headstock even though it does not align perfectly on the return. It only takes seconds to run the tailstock up and match center points. It is fairly hefty at 370 pounds.
    Yes, I would love to have the VFD, but to be honest, I like the color.
    I do think 800 for a used one is high. I have seen it on sale at Amazon for that price before. I have only seen one used one around here for sale in months of looking every day. He was asking 650 and when I called at 9 in the morning the day his ad came out, it was already sold.
    Good luck !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Bernie, I'm sitting in the airport doing this post on my blackberry so I hope it comes through. I have the 1442 and love it. I also created my donut chuck for it using T nuts. Now, let me say this, The price is too high and the problems you are worried about are a none issue if you are careful. The bigger issue is belt changes. You almost have to totally disassemble the entire head stock to accomplish the task. If you have the money follow Andy's advice. Hope to be back on and turning in. about four weeks. I miss everyone.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 08-27-2006 at 4:00 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate them. I wish I did have the money to spend $3000 and up. Then it would be a no brainer. Right now I have to live within our means. I am putting every extra dollar into retirement and getting bills paid. I will retire in 3 yrs. and want to be debt free plus have a comfortable retirement. It is in my plans when I do retire and of course move nearer the kids that is according to my CEO or SWMBO I will then probably get the mayo or mustard. For now I just want to get something that will take me to that point. I will be watching for a used DVR 3000 or a Jet 1642. Thanks again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie - given what you've just said; my new suggestion would be to see if there's anything that can be done with the existing machine (preferably thru warranty) to keep it alive just as long as possible. Extend its life by dusting off that old delta mini when size permits and save your pennies for the eventual one-last-time trade up. Acquiring a 3rd lathe now will just aggravate and prolong the pain as well as complicating the cost implications of that 4th (!!) machine.
    Only the Blue Roads

Bernie, that is a good plan. Just plain dumb going into hock over a tool. Your doing the right thing. You have the little Delta... take that Cman back and run it up their....if you can. Even the manufacturer is not taking care of you on it like he said he would. Remember the manufacturer told you that half of that lathe was recalled and they sold it to you. Get some money for it and save for what you can afford. In the mean time you still have the little mean blue one!

Corey