Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might as well start with my prized posession.

Might as well start with my prized posession.

Well, since I just registered and many here may have never seen my baby, I thought I would start by sharing..

Earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to be the first person to reply to an add in the paper for a 12" jointer that was for sale. The seller wasn't sure what kind it was, but said it came out of an old school down his way. Turns out it was a J.A. Fay and Egan Co. 12" jointer with a 3HP single stage Century motor that sits on it's own seperate legs. The price was right at $400 so I talked Brad Knoble into helping me collect my prize. (BTW, Brad LOVES to help lift heavy objects for beer, so please give him a call if you're in need)

Here it is just as I found it sitting in the sellers late fathers garage.. So many coats of paint on it, you could hardly make out the name on the front. The motor wasn't attached and I had no idea if it even ran or not. The head turned freely and everything was there so I bought it..

Within a couple days of bringing it home, I began the process of giving it a new life in my shop. Lots of paint to strip off, pieces to media blast, and new paint to apply..

After a week or so I finally had a new 'old arn' aircraft carrier in my shop.

I kept everything original. The only thing that I needed to replace was the leather link belt that ties the motor to the head (and some of the electrical of course) I kept the motor configuration the same and just ordered a new belt.

Here she is right after the restore before I had decided on a permanent home for it. At this stage it was still waiting on the new electrics.

Here's a shot of the motor and how it sits behind the jointer on it's own legs. This was the first motor rebuild I had done, but it went pretty smoothly. Still have 2 extra cans of winding varnish that I'll probably never use though..

And here's one of it in it's final home.. Here she sits and here she stays. No mobile base for this one.

And......... one final pic. This is the new belt I ordered. Came in a little long so I had to cut and splice it before it would work but it's working wonderfully now. Kind of hard to go back to straight knives now though after having a Byrd head equiped jointer for so long. I've gotten used to it now though.

Thanks for taking a look...
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Marzluf; 08-27-2006 at 3:39 PM.

You still showing that thing off? I think you should load that ugly thing up and get rid of it. I know a place in Alabama that takes in old iron and probably take it off you hands. Just let me know when you need it out and I will see what I can do.

A 12" jointer is rare.... heck unheard of in my neck of the woods. I got excited when I found a 6" Broadhead Garret within a days (round trip) drive. I am still hoping to find a 10" or larger to restore some day. That and a large bandsaw are all thats on my old arn want list at the moment. Neither it a need as much as wanted.

And I must add, that I love the colors you chose, followed your resto on Woodnet. Oh yea, and welcome to the creek. You will find the creek is .... well..... different than Woodnet. I will leave it that.

Very nice restoration of a wonderful machine!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark -

Beautiful machine!! Great job....the colors are excellent - ENJOY!

Excellent resto job, Mark. I like the leather link between the motor and the head. I've never seen such a thing.

Not only does it look like a sweet jointer, but you could also easily seat a family of 10 for dinner at it, too.

Welcome to the Creek, and looking forward to seeing more pics of your work and your toys.

- Vaughn

Wow that is a machine and a half! Nice resto!

Corey

I think you could seat a family of ten and still use it on wood....hugemonous ain't it?

I"m betting your happy you don't have to use it in a basement shop with no walk in door...stairs would be interesting with that thing.

Very nice restore.

Al

>>so I talked Brad Knoble into helping me collect my prize.<<

Uh, Mark, that would be Brad Noble, not Knoble. And yes, I have been known to lift for beer but as I get older I can't lift near as much but thats OK, I can't drink much either.

Brad

nice machine.. made my day, but then again I do have a fondness for old iron. got any other prospects for the shop?
    lou

The bed looks a tad off, +/- .012 to the naked eye. Any plans for resolving that?

Good luck tomorrow!

Oops........ Typo. Sorry.

Course....... It could have been worse I guess.

Mark:

That is a serious piece of machinery. Great koo on finding it, and a beautiful job of restoring.
    Roger

Excellent restoration. Man is that sweet. I see a good number of old Fay & Eagans up here in Cleveland as well. Don't think I'll foget about the "will work for beer" thing Brad. Hope to see more resto's in the future.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing Mark's jointer, it's such a sweet piece of machinery. I lust over having a 12"-18" jointer someday. In the meantime I think I'll be happy the iron I have and get it going, along with a couple other pieces of old iron

This is one sweet jointer...just love the colors.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Just needs pillows and blankets!

What a nice machine. makes mine look like a toy. How much do you think it weighs just out of curiosity?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion