Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sometimes I still do Flatwork.......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    You plan to haul it outta the dungeon in pieces or put together?
    Chris,
    Read post #12....

Stu,
    Great job.

Oops...was flicking the mouse wheel a little too fast...I have the same problem in my BMW!

Stu, nice quick setup of the lock-miter bit. See, you are a smart man or found really good instructions. I have a hard time dealing with that bit. I did okay for the flat cut but the vertical cut, well, I had a lot of tear-out of the plys of my plywood. I even rescued some of the torn out plys and reglued them back in!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Oops...was flicking the mouse wheel a little too fast...I have the same problem in my BMW!
    Only you would have a mouse wheel in the Beemer... LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla

Stu, nice quick setup of the lock-miter bit. See, you are a smart man or found really good instructions. I have a hard time dealing with that bit. I did okay for the flat cut but the vertical cut, well, I had a lot of tear-out of the plys of my plywood. I even rescued some of the torn out plys and reglued them back in!
    Thanks Chris.

The instructions on the Lee Valley page are tops.

Lee Valley Instructions

On that page, just below where it says "45° Lock Miter Bit" it says "Instr" click on that and it opens in a new window, at the very bottom of the page is a "Click here to print" button.

Worked like a charm, took ten minutes to set it up, including installing the bit.

Cheers!

5. Minor update..........

I got some more done, but I also tweaked my jig a bit.

I put a resting place for the router at the beginning of the cut, this saves me moving it off the jig each time. I also put a stop block there, and while not in the pic yet, I put one on the other end too.To make things move easier, I waxed the sides of the router and the jig rails

Boy what a difference! The router slides so much easier!
    You have to be careful, you do not want wax on anything you are going to paint or stain.

With a new 6 mm bit, things are going well!

6. Minor update

I got all the pieces cut, well except for the backs, and I dry fit one of the shelves tonight..........

Attachment 45969

.........it all slid together easy as pie

I'm hoping I can get them all glued and shot by Sunday, so I can install them in the L shop (and get them out of my Dungeon).

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:24 AM.

7. OK, another little update, getting in done!

I had to cut up a lot of these shelves, and it was sure nice having a SCMS to do this one, once that I'd ripped them to width with the Festool saw and rail set.
    I gang cut 4 pieces at a time, and it went quickly, and now I have to sand the edges.

Well, there is one done, two to go, and then the trim for the front edges.

Then I have to install them in the L shop!

Stu... how are you finishing that puppy!? Please tell me you have a spray gun? (I, myself, don't have a spray setup yet. But I think if I faced a piece like that with all those tiny nooks and crannies inside... I'd go buy one reall quick.)

9. Naw, no finish, seems they only stay in the shop for about 5 years or so and we change something.
    These are going in a different location, than the ones I'm replacing, but the old ones are still in great shape after about 6 years. Also it seems most people like the look of the raw wood around the wine, I guess it is like wine boxes, they are not finished either.

BTW, I got all the major gluing done..........

Attachment 46017

...........so now just the front edges to do, lots of cutting....

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:24 AM.