Thread: Spalted Box Elder Burl Bowl

Spalted Box Elder Burl Bowl

Thought I would share this bowl with you all. It is a piece of burl
    I was given in Montana this past summer. It was the devil to turn
    because it was so spalted, but I was pleased with the result. The bowl is 12 inches wide, and 7 inches high, finished with a solution of tung oil, varnish, and turpentine. I then buffed it with the Beal Buffing System. Your comments welcome, thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 10-12-2005 at 6:06 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Nice job Glenn!

That turned out great! looks like it was a bear to turn - definately a silk purse out of a sows ear (what a wierd saying that is).

I definately want to get my hands on some spalted box elder - cool stuff.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    Thought I would share this bowl with you all. It is a piece of burl
    I was given in Montana this past summer. It was the devil to turn
    because it was so spalted, but I was pleased with the result. The bowl is 12 inches wide, and 7 inches high, finished with a solution of tung oil, varnish, and turpentine. I then buffed it with the Beal Buffing System. Your comments welcome, thanks for looking.
    Glenn,

Nice job on the bowl. A question, how long do you have to let it cure before you buff it out using a tung oil mixture? I've heard tung oil takes forever to cure.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks Joe, I use polymerized tung oil in the mixture. Polymerized tung oil will cure much faster than pure tung oil. Put it on, after about 10 minures I rub it off, rub it so you will not be able to see any finger prints on the finish, and set it aside for 24 hours. After this I had rub it with white synthetic (0000) steel wool, use a tack cloth, and put on another coat--I put about 5 coats of this on the bowl. I usually let it cure for about a week just to make sure the finish is cured good and hard before I buff. I have used pure tung oil in the past and substituted naptha for the turpentine, it works almost as well. The naptha will make the tung oil cure faster. Good to hear from you.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    Glenn,

Nice job on the bowl. A question, how long do you have to let it cure before you buff it out using a tung oil mixture? I've heard tung oil takes forever to cure.

Thanks,

Joe
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    Thanks Joe, I use polymerized tung oil in the mixture. Polymerized tung oil will cure much faster than pure tung oil. Put it on, after about 10 minures I rub it off, rub it so you will not be able to see any finger prints on the finish, and set it aside for 24 hours. After this I had rub it with white synthetic (0000) steel wool, use a tack cloth, and put on another coat--I put about 5 coats of this on the bowl. I usually let it cure for about a week just to make sure the finish is cured good and hard before I buff. I have used pure tung oil in the past and substituted naptha for the turpentine, it works almost as well. The naptha will make the tung oil cure faster. Good to hear from you.
    Glenn
    Thanks for the info Glenn. I have a bottle of pure tung oil that I haven't used since I heard it could take months to cure. Now I have a use for it.

Joe

Thumbs up Sweeeet!!

Devil or no, that is one nice bowl. Great form and whoa........what a piece of wood!!

Bob

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Absolutely Superb ! ! ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I appreciate all your kind remarks about my bowl. I live on a farm in South Georgia and there are no other turners near me. It is nice to have such positive feedback from all of you. You inspire me to do more and better. Thanks again.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia