Thread: A School of "Drunken Fish"

A School of "Drunken Fish"

Frank,

I believe that you are trying to insert the wine bottle all the way into the hole until it seats against the 'fish'. That won't work with the Wood Mag. fish. Try sliding the neck of the bottle back and forth in the hole until it balances. The wine holder works as described, 45 degree base with a 1 1/2" hole drilled 7 1/8" from the far end of the bevel.

After reading your "drunken fish" thread I found the plans and went out and made a couple of them to give as gifts. I didn't have a 3/16" round over bit so I used a 1/8" bit instead. As you can see in the picture they still need to have a finish applied.

You can also make a holder out of a plain piece of wood. Cut a 3" wide piece 12" long. Cut a 45 degree bevel on one end and then drill a 1 1/2" hole 90 degrees to the board 7 1/8" on center from the long end of the bevel, you don't even need to round over the edges. Insert a full wine bottle and slide the neck back and forth until it balances. But as someone else said, if you make the fish only use 'white' wine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, having sorta success. Got my new set of Forstner bits from Harbor Freight yesterday. Using the 1 1/2" I bored a 90 degree hole as advised and VOILA IT WOIKS. This is on a 'try' piece of wood. Now to cut the actual fishies and do again. Did learn that the balance point is very critical. Not sure how much use this sort of thing will get in my son's house with three children under six years old running around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting this!! I was actually gonna go make some after reading Frank's posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Gee
    Thanks for posting this!! I was actually gonna go make some after reading Frank's posts
    Does that mean you aren't going to? Don't let me dissuade you. Sometimes even silly, do-nothing things can be fun.

no no i meant after seeing your first post a few weeks back (and the posts now), i want to now make it too cuz it looks super cool