Next Tutoral Subject

Bow Saw -

Veneer Saw -

Frame Rip Saw -

Old Womans Tooth Router-

Tenon Router-

Parquetry - an example

Jr.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-29-2006 at 5:55 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Harry,

Might want to add some pictures of what you are talking about, for the newbie's sake. Personally, I'm not sure what the difference is between a rip veneer saw and framed rip saw. Think I know what you are talking about on the other stuff though.

mark

Hi Junior, it seems like I haven't talked at you for almost 24 hours.

My personal feeling is that the old woman's tooth router is the most useful of the tools for the largest number of the folks here. Even the power tool folks will find it very useful for the many times when a corded router just can't do the job.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hey Jr

Not to be fussy, but what about a veneer gang saw? I understand the principles, but I'm short on details.

Honestly, whichever route you choose to take, I'll be following and I'm sure to learn something.

Cheers

IG

I voted for the crosscut saw, but I'd like the router as well and I'd love to learn parquetry. I feel like a kid-in-a-candy-story with you offering to teach us these skills!

Ian, I have never seen a real gang veneer saw, personally I can see problems with tensioning and spacing all the webs ( blades) evenly and it would be a two man saw and there is just me, so as I have no use for one and I don't plan on making one.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Ed, we will make the tools according to the votes they recieve. I enjoy making tools and if you can make tools you will never lack for tools to work with and can make almost anything you want. I look at things from a blacksmiths and machinists point of view as well as a woodworkers, so I think a little different than most people and I have a vivid imagination from being an only child with a strict mother. So I day dream of things to make and how it can be done. LOL

I very seldom draw anything up till after its done, that way I can improvise as it evolves.
    Jr.

Can we vote for all of them?

On a side note, I'd love to see more photos of your tool chest. Perhaps some day, when you're sitting around with nothing to do, could you post some pictures of the insides?

Thanks

Parquetry - especially the specialized tools you've made to size all the pieces

My second choice would be the tenon router

Wendell.

Harry,
    I won't vote since I don't do much nieander work except for some hand planes, chizels and an occasional hand saw but I do enjoy learning the history and makeup of these tools. I am making a collection of this information so I can pass it along to my children and grand children. I feel that it is vital to the art of wood crafting to know where the roots of the craft comes from. Very few people know that the art of turning came from pottery and the first lathe were verticle. I would like to see something done on this aspect of wood working if possible but I will sit back at this point and learn.

I voted for one but really I'll be watching for them all so have fun with your tutorials and know that they are appreciated.

Harry,

I voted for parquetry, but was just interested in inlay in general. You posted a small table recentely which you gave to a minister/pastor/etc...I was curious how the inlay was done.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

JR, I voted for the tooth router but as most said I am interested in more than one topic. How about after the voting is closed you drop the top tool and for the second round take a vote on the tools left. This way we will get to go through the whole list.

BTW how do you get hold of the hardware for the two routers. I could really use both the tooth and the tenon router, but can't see how I can get the hardware.

thanks for your continued contribution to our community.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 08-30-2006 at 5:54 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Thank you

I vote for the crosscut saw but would be tickled for any of them,

Where would we get the blade? can we order them?

Bob

Mike W has graciously agreed to make some webs (blades) for the saws and Dave Anderson has agreed to sell just enough waxed cord to do one saw.

The hardware for the routers is easily made by hand with the aid of a drill, vice, hack saw, file, small propane torch and a 1/4 inch tap and die.
    Jr.