Thread: What is it worth???

What is it worth???

A few years ago I bought a Makita 14.4 combo kit. Hammer drill, circular saw, recipocating saw, blower/vac and flashlight, fast charger. They came in a plastic locker style case with all the fences and extras.

The batteries are dead and they want $70+ for a batteries. I ain't going to pay it. I love the tools but I don't use them enough to justify paying that much for batteries. I will probably replace it with a Ryobi set or just used my corded tools.

Now I wonder what would the whole thing be worth if I were to sell it considering the dead batteries? They have been used but are in very very good shape.
    Ed

Ed,

What are they selling for now?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

ed, not a clue what the set`s worth but there`s a fellow on the forum who rebuilds batteries for less than new. don`t remember who? tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I'd try selling them at a yard sale or on Craig's List or here. Just be honest about the batteries. Maybe someone has good batteries and wants more tools to go with them.

It does seem odd that the battery operated tools are almost "throwaways" because of the cost of batteries. It seems to be a very inefficient system, considering the cost of materials and technology.

Don't get rid of it, have the batteries rebuilt PM Jason Abel for more information. I haven't personally used him yet, but several others have posted success stories.

I have a set with a Ryobi saw and drill and the battery life isn't very good.

The problem with rebuilding the batteries is the cases are glued together. By the time you include the additional charges to open the case you have the cost up there with the new battery prices.

Some one mentioned it didn't seem right make throw away tools because of the battery prices but that is exactly what these dealers are doing.

I just missed buying a new 14.4 Makita drill on closeout that came with 2 2.6 amp/hr batteries, a charger and a carrying case for less than I can buy one 2.6 amp/hr battery retail.

I have a Dewalt 9.6 the came with a steel case, two batteries, drill and charger for $32 bucks. Today one 9.6 XR battery is priced as $39

However the same is true for many corded tools. I have a porter cable recipocating saw I bought for $80. I stripped the drive gear. The cost of the gear no installation or anything $73. Go figure.
    Ed

PM Jason Abel...he (or his company) specialized in redoing batteries not designed to be redone. They can also put "better cells" (i.e. newer technology) than what you had to begin with. I think it is worth a quote from him to see if that $73 still holds or not...it may.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.