Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some inspiration

Looking for some inspiration

I have a new 20" iMac for which I'd like to build a small desk/hutch that can be closed up to hide the machine. I'm thinking of a pull out keyboard/mouse tray, a ledge of the computer to sit on and a small shelf to hold a camera (video ro still) during downloads. I drew something up that is about 14" deep when closed but it isn't much more than a tall box and I'd like to come up with some other ideas.

I also have two PCs that I'd like to do something similar for but obiously they've got more hardware to deal with.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

2. Hi Dave:

How about a wall hung unit, give the appearance of floating. I've always wanted to use not cabinet pocket door hardware but, household room door "pocket door" hardware.

You could design a cabinet where the Center unit that would house your hardware and desk/hutch section would be closed with 2 doors infront. On either side you would have 2 open bookcases, when you wanted to use your center section, you would slide the 2 doors to either side opening your desk section.

Now that I read over this, if my thought can be deciphered, that's probably enough thinking for today. I don't know......I see it in my head.

Hope that helps........Neil

Thanks Neil. I think I understood that. I need to look at the space I have and see if that would work.

I'm on the computer all the time, so I don't see the point in trying to hide it... Besides, 20" iMacs are so pretty. (I've got one on my desk at work)

Off the top of my head... sounds to me like you want something fairly light looking. So skip the plywood pedestal ideas.

For instance, I built my wife a basic corner desk for her Mac Mini, and ditched the pedestal idea altogether and used legs (recycled bed posts) to give it a fairly light and airy appearance. http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/~amulder/wood/p.cornerdesk/

So for you, how about something Krenov-like, a box on top of some legs. Use some nice contrasting wood. Have you got a copy of Chris Becksvoort's "the Shaker Legacy" ? how about a base like the trestle table on p161 ?

Hmm, I was googling for Campaign Chests just now, and found this..
    http://www.foursisterswoodworking.co.../4s_lc_01.html
    .. which isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it is better than a blank screen.
    best,
    ...art

Art, thank you for those ideas. On my way home from work this evening I got to thinking about a Krenov-style cabinet so it is funny you mention that. I was also wondering about a campaign chest idea too but couldn't think of the name to do the search. That's a big problem with the internet for me.

I'm working on an idea for that Krenov sort of cabinet and I'll see if I can post a sketch or two.

I am thinking of some sort of figured veneer for the doors with a rail on the top and bottom but no stiles. I figure a veneered slab of MDF would work. I got to wondering about doing a sort of veneered, coopered MDF door but not too sure it will go with the plan.

Thanks again.

How about a tambour door? Could work sort of like a small appliance dock/garage in the kitchen.

Pam

How 'bout a dropfront? That is, the closed box is only 6" deep (4"? I dunno how deep Macs are now). The front hinges down to become the desk surface.

A related question is what you'll do with the desk chair. The desk will probably spend most of its life with the computer off, but the chair sitting in front of it, or near it. You should be visualizing the desk plus the chair. I say this because I'm picturing my compact dropfront wall-mounted box, closed, and only 4" deep -- and then a desk chair sitting in front of it looking lost. I think a Krenov-style cabinet might suffer from the same issue, no?

8. The chair aspect???

Hey Jamie:......to Dave-

I'm with you on the chair issue........if Dave has the confidence in us as we think he does....(hey Dave am I right).....we've got the sliding doors or the drop-leaf style door that Dave could do a beatiful marquetry on and act as a mural with the desk chair off in the corner waiting to be used.

Now another approach (we're full of em Dave) that we might suggest to Dave regarding the future chair could be to make the sliding doors or drop-leaf flat panel; a neutral quater sawn grain pattern and built a Macintosh chair with that high back oval style to play off the flat neutral grain panel that acts as a background to the high falutent chair.

Hey Dave...........I'm starting to get envious of your project. I like how we're all so liberal with your time.

Daves thanks for allowing us input.......I come to SMC often specifically for the Design Forum. Most times I find I can't comment.

THANK YOU........Neil

Hi Dave,
    i don't want to play devil's advocate, but IKEA has a new desk similar to what you're planning. It is called "Cyril" and appears in the 2007 catalog i got last week. I didn't find it online... but if it helps i will scan a pic and email it to you.
    It is a cabinet on a stand with a drop front, behind the drop front there is space for the imac and two drawers on the right side. above the dropfront thereare two doors for files etc.
    Functionally i think it will do fine, but it's made from white melamine covered particle board.. the stand is solid birch.
    Let me know if you want a scan from the catalog.
    Timo

Thanks for all the ideas. I appreciate them. I don't have the space to do a cabinet with sliding doors like you suggested Neil.

The drop front thing is interesting but I don't want the "desktop" to be as deep as it would have to be for the height of the cabinet.

As far as the chair is concerned, it wouldn't be parked in front of the desk when the desk is closed up anyway. Like Neil suggests the chair would be parked in a corner or elsewhere.

You've got a lot more confidence in my woodworking skills if you think I'll be doing any marquetry, Neil. I'll feel lucky if I can do a good veneering job.

So here's what I've got so far. Sort of Krenov-esque. The legs need to go on a diet but I havn't decided exactly what to do there yet. In case it isn't clear, the doors would be bifolds. They'd swing open and then fold up and slide in on the sides. The keyboard tray would slide out about 6 or 8 inches.

I haven't decided where to put it but there would be the aforementioned small shelf to hold either the still or video digital camera during uploads.

Timo, thanks for the offer. I guess I'd be interested in seeing the desk if you want to scan the image. Too bad Ikea hasn't added it to their site yet.

11. Cool Thread to SU visual

Hi Dave:

This entire thread was fun and having you hit us with the visual was excellent.

One day I'd like to be a part of a thread like this one you just created and provide a SU visual like you have as part of the banter.

Again Dave....THANKS for playing with us the way you did, it is why I always look in the SMC Design Forum.

Neil

Neil, you are most certainly welcome and my thanks to you as well. I don't think I'm done with you yet so don't bail out on me. I'd still like some ideas about the legs for example.

Here's a quick rendering of the cabinet just for fun.

That's sharp looking, Dave.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave... lovely rendering. But what about the electrical and net connections? Even if you go wireless, you'll still need power. I assume you want things fairly hidden, if you're going to this trouble.

So... maybe a thicker leg isn't such a bad idea, since it will let you hide the cord along the leg. Or do you have a high outlet that you can just hide behind the cabinet?

Also you'll need a touch of venting. The imac does run pretty cool, but you'll still need something.

best,
    ...art