Thread: Ripping 45s on narrow stock

Ripping 45s on narrow stock

Hi
    I need to make make legs for a couple of ottomans from QSWO. As the attachment shows each leg is to be made up from 4 pieces that have been ripped 45 degrees on 2 edges so resulting leg will have flecking on all 4 sides. I think this is called a quadralinear leg?

Stock is 1-3/4" by 3/4". TS is left tilt

Is there a safe way to do this on a TS? I illustrated the only 2 ways I can think of doing this and to me neither looks all that safe especially the second cuts
    Thanks
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left tilt TS with your stock against the fence so the waste falls to the TS surface.

Router table with a 45° chamfer bit

Band saw with table tilted to 45° and then run the resulting edge across a jointer. This method will probably result in the least accurate results for a four-sided leg.

How about checking out "Woodshopdemos.com" They have a few pages devoted to the use of a 45° lock-miter bit to do just exactly what you're wanting to do. That's why I bought the one that I have....that I haven't used yet.

Good luck. I'd like to see your results.

Blog Entries
    If you are trying to keep the grain patter aligned, chamfer bit. If the grain only need to be similar; cut strips from an oversized plank. That is cut a 45 off the edge of a 3/4 x 12" plank, turn plank over and cut to width, turn plank over and cut to width, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would not try either way you suggested, since there is little or no material riding on the saw table for stability.

My first recommendation would be to cut a very thin (veneer) strip off the "pretty" side and glue it to the "ugly" side.

I have made square legs from triangles... it is much harder than it seems it should be. But if you go that way, I would move your fence to the left side of the blade, then make successive cuts off the larger piece of wood as Glenn suggested - what drops below the blade as "waste" really becomes your work piece. To make sure it drops away from the blade, put a thin piece of wood (masonite) under the "supply" so you are cutting higher on the blade, and the off-cut drops away from the blade. That will also help keep the 45 degree edge that is against the fence from catching under the edge of the fence.

Method 2 would be better than method 1

Even though the good side would be down, and may have some chipout, I would reverse the method of number 2

Edit. You have a left tilt. Mine is right tilt

Thanks for the replys
    It seems to me that ripping to final width then cutting 45s on the edges wheather TS or router table/chamfer bit the same problem is there as Charlie said there isn't enough stock to support the cut particularly on the second cut.

Bud:
    I have that bit and made legs for 2 Morris chairs following J Lucas demo. Well that bit just isn't for me don't get me wrong his instructions were good and I felt pretty safe but I sweated bullets the whole time anyway and those peices were 2-3/4" wide. Maybe if I had a power feeder...

Glenn:
    Thanks ripping off wider stock I think is the way to go

Charlie:
    I neglected to mention the tops of the legs will be exposed. I considered wrapping 8/4 stock with thin veneers but since the tops are exposed I'd like a concentric look
    Dan

Dan,

Another excellent method is to use the EZ Smart system and the EZ Smart clamping system or the EZ Guide control units.

(For those that demand equal time for Festool: Festool does not have a clamping system with the capabilities of the Smart clamping system or the Guide control units. Therefore, I did not recommend the Festool.)

Burt

I used method 2 with a caul on the second cut.