Thread: Restored Hand plane...before and after pics

Restored Hand plane...before and after pics

Hi everyone,

This is my first major hand plane restoration. I know, I know, this might seem quite ordinary for the more expreienced but I was so suprised by the outcome I thought I'd put up some pictures of the result.

I recently pick up this vintage Stanley handplace through a contact of mine. This is a no. 5c ( corrugated) "Sweet Heart" edition type 13 built between 1925 and 1928.

The plane had all of it's parts but was pretty much rusty, tarnised and full of gunk. I had my work cut out for me. Here is what it looked like when I got it:

After a couple evenings in the shop with some warm tea and lots of elbow grease, I finally managed to bring it back to this condition:

And for neanderthals of this forum I'm including some detail pics which I hope you'll appreciate. As you can see, the rosewood handle and nob have no cracks, the blade is of origin and still has a good 2 1/2" left on it. The lever cap is nickel plated and in very good condition.

This was a fun project to do. I have learn much about how they put them together and I have come to appreciate the feeling of an old well machined vintage tool. I got a good feeling this one is going to be my favorite. The only thing left is to properly hone the blade which will be my next task.

Thanks for looking!
    AT

Knowledge is to know tomatoes are fruits.
    Wisdom is to know not to put any in a fruit salad.

Alain,
    How does the tea clean the iron so nicely?

Ken

Looks nice. I'm in the process of building up a set of type 13's

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner
    Alain,
    How does the tea clean the iron so nicely?

Ken
    Ken, very little actually. Don't worry it's not an old Grandma's tip or anything. It just keeps me working late at nights in the shop.

Actually it was nice and quiet for a change. Dark outside, cool breeze, some jazz in the background and a warm cup of tea. All while slowly detailing, cleaning and learning to appreciate those hand tools and the craftmanship put into them.

---

Steve, aren't these a nice set of tools. Just love the craftmanship. Looking foward to somes pics when you're done.
    Last edited by Alain Tellier; 08-31-2006 at 2:45 PM.
    AT

Boy, whoever had that plane last sure liked Cheeto's!

Smile

Alain, very nice job. I also like to be in the shop on cool, dark nights, with a cup of hot tea and nice music for the only noise. Life is great at those times
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ray
    Alain, very nice job. I also like to be in the shop on cool, dark nights, with a cup of hot tea and nice music for the only noise. Life is great at those times
    Yup! happiness is made out of a bunch of simple things. We tend to forget that in this day and age.
    AT

Very nice work and the tea was good too I imagine!!
    Jerry

Very nice work. I love to see old planes.

10. I've got an older No.5, I cleaned it up and flattend the bottom, as it was cupped, and I use it all the time, works really well.

I got it from my Dad, he got is from his Dad, I think. I do not think it is "That" old, but, I'd like to know, how does one find out?

Nice job, BTW!

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

You can use this website to find out:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta...ting/main.html
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford