Thread: Help with Grizzly Bandsaw needed

Question Help with Grizzly Bandsaw needed

Ok I bought this bandsaw a year or 2 ago but it just got to me last week, at first glance the machine was a lot better than what I expected. I have to say that I am impressed with the overall quality of such a cheap (pricewise) machine.

The reason I got this machine as opposed to others was because of the sheer amount of people who own it and I've maybe heard one complaint about it after lots and lots of research.

Anyway, my only problem is getting the upper and lower wheel to be coplaner. They are about 1/16" out of coplaner and its the bottom wheel that needs to come out.

I tried putting some washers between the wheel and the pully, but that didn't work out to good. The only other solution I can think of is putting some washers on the main shaft of the bottom wheel, but I've been to just about every hardware store that I can think of and nobody has them in that size. So I may just have to special order them from the states. But I just want to make sure that that is what I have to do before I make the order.

I'd appreciate help from anybody who can help me. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry guys, the bandsaw I am using is the G0555
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 09-03-2006 at 4:42 PM.

I put a straight edge on the wheels and turn the adjusting knob on the back until they are in alignment. Maybe I'm missing something in your post but this is about the simplest adjustment on the thing. The little wing lock nut is kinda sorry but I haven't had a problem with the wheels going out of alignment in use.

Thin it with a beltsander or grinder; alternative is to sort through the bin at the hardware store for a thin washer (seems like there's thin AND thick in every bin I've visited lately). You might also give Gizzly a call; they've been very responsive to my concerns in the past.

OK, I reread your post, this time with my eyes open. Coplanar, I learned, is not the same as alignment. Page 40 in the (my) owners manual addresses your problem. It suggests using electrical washers as shims to achieve coplanar-ness. It suggests electrical washers because they come in a wide variety of thicknesses. There are three hex (allen) nuts in the hub, I have wondered what they are for but never messed around with them. But the do look like some kind of in/out adjusters.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Pick up a few Standard and Metric washers in the approximate correct size, along with an assortment of small pieces of shim stock. Drill, file, or grind the i.d. of the washers to fit your shaft, then use shims in between them to correct your alignment. It's not nearly as difficult as it would at first seem.

Did you get the riser block? I just assembled mine and the riser introduced a small amount of rotation making it impossible to align the wheels. Girz sent me another riser, it was better, but not perfect. A little work with the dremel on one of the alignment pins on the riser and all is well now.

---Scott.