Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wearing Gorilla Gloves

Latex is for water use ONLY. Any other liquid will cause them to fail. Most additives in water will cause them to fail. Use nitrile.
    Every deed plants a seed.

Goof Off Works....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

3. No problem for me.

I tried the Gorilla glue for just a little while and didn't like the results. The foaming actually gets in the way of a good bond some of the time. The gap filling ability of any glue is a myth since the glue may be there but it has no strength in that thickness. I threw out the bottle of glue and never looked back. I much prefer old fashioned hide glue for almost any task. Of course I am from another era and pretty strange in other ways roo.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

There is one other little negative about polyurethane glues like Gorilla brand that needs to be taken into consideration...it has a short shelf life once opened and exposed to moisture in the air as compared to PVA type glues. Don't buy more than you plan on using in 6-9 months max. It may appear "cheaper" in the big bottles, but it's not when you have to throw half of it out! It's also best to store it upside-down.

Well, I do have to say you guys have made me feel much better - I am not alone on this one.

I used Gorilla glue for the first time a few weeks ago - treated it just like Titebond II (read: got it all over my hands). I went to roll it off like I do Titebond II - nothing - tried everything to clean it off. Well the long of it is I spent a week or so with black blotches all over my hands.

Now I don't feel like such a dolt!

Wes (with clean hands no less!)

Use poly glue for most everything...

and I have the black hands to prove it. Use the nitrile blue gloves to keep it off your hands. Denatured alcohol will remove the glue before it starts to cure. Poly glue is espically nice with wide sanders because it doesn't melt and gum up the belts like PVA does. DAMHIKT Shelf life is shorter than yellow glue but you don't need to use as much so think small containers. I like Tite Bond polyurethane glue. It full cures in 4 hours. Clamp time is about an hour.

It works for me but I am only 57 and not set in my ways yet.

Dave Smith
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Poly Glue

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield
    Hey, everyone knows how us old geezers hate to change, so change I did, used gorilla glue today for the first time. Will let you know what I think about using poly glue when I take the dough board out of the clamps tomorrow.
    Well my take on poly glue is that it takes a little more time, wetting the surface, cleaning hands, is easier scraping off, may not be as strong as yellow glue, its water resistant, only time in the bakery for the doughboard will tell, I'll keep an eye on it when I stop by for my coffee and sugar fix. Doing research for the glue company is hard work, the double oven cabinet also requires periodical inspection for scorching on the plywood and latex paint adhesion on outside of cabinet, its really hard to concentrate on work anymore. Still looking for a cheap Diesel rear engine Motorhome, cold weather comes and south Texas is calling.

Glue removal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
    Goof Off Works....
    Hey Zack, I need a gallon if it takes off ugly. Did you get the velcro ordered ? My supplier has the felt paper, no velcro. My order came with 4 extra 6"X 260" belts in the box, (like to see that stroke sander) called about them, got address of who ordered them and shipped them on. You take that hounddog to bluestown ?

A different idea

You may want to do a search of glue test results. I think that WOOD had one a few month back. Gorilla Glue does the best marketing on any commercial adhesive. Gee, I wonder why that is.

You just updated a 5 1/2 year old thread.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 05-04-2009 at 9:40 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    You jut updated a 5 1/2 year old thread.
    Yup, Bobby doesn't even frequent here any more since the loss of his wife and he's been busy trying to make life "happen". I miss Bobby and I also miss his Evelyn, who has since passed way.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

YOU MUST USE NITRILE GLOVES if you don't want oil,stain,and all kinds of molecules getting through. You can't see them,but latex has tiny holes throughout which are large enough to let oil molecules through,and lots of other stuff.

Latex also lets AIDS virus through.I was relieved to see my dentist finally using nitrile gloves after I told him about the holes in latex. It really annoys me that kids think they are having safe sex because some one handed them latex condoms. Whoever is making those kind of decisions needs to be better informed.

for what its worth titebond III gives you better strength and is waterproof and does not turn your hands black

This is from the Gorilla Glue website:

We recommend wearing gloves or applying with a disposable brush.

If you do get the glue on your skin, try a dry cloth or paper towel first (particularly if the glue is still tacky). If that doesn’t work, try washing with soap and cold water, or using an exfoliator with a gritty texture. Dry your skin and apply lotion. We do not recommend any kind of alcohol or acetone. This actually strips the skin of its natural oils, which means the glue is more likely to stick.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield View Post
    Hey, everyone knows how us old geezers hate to change, so change I did, used gorilla glue today for the first time. Now the secret to getting it off hands, anybody ? Should have used gloves, you say, you know what I think about gloves, I wasn't loading a truckload of lumber, I was gluing up a dough board, for the local bakery. The old Goat, who owned it decided to finally retire again, and a friend bought it and moved it to his new Realty office building, HUH ? I know. There is another story about that. I should be retiring and enjoying RV'ing around the country, yu'say. Can't, someone else bought the motorhome (used) I had picked out, and haven't found a good Diesel Pusher MH to take its place. Wearing Gorilla gloves till they wear off. Will let you know what I think about using poly glue when I take the dough board out of the clamps tomorrow.
    I use Gorilla glue and like it. The foam out is a little annoying. I use nitrile (medical) gloves to keep it off my hands.