Thread: Precision Drill Press Needed

Precision Drill Press Needed

I am starting my search for an precision drill press. I have tried to fine tune the Delta's and others with no luck. My primary need is 0 run out and a very good chuck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian.

Not to sound a little absurd, but have you considered a milling machine. The Rong-Fu milling machine is a "benchtop unit"(600-700 lbs).
    It is sold in a dozen different colors by various companies. If you see a mill at about the $1000.00-1200.00 price tag. The Grizzly 1006 is an example. There are manu others.

Zero XY runout is a tough nut for DP's, except maybe a Do-All press. There may be drill presses that can hold this tolerance, but you're moving into milling machine space in my opinion.

Thanks Mike, I will look into this option. The 0 run out might be a little tight on tolerance, but I would like to get close.

Brian

Brian.

Is the drill press for metal, or wood?.

One more thing to look at is speed. The big bits for wood, and drilling applications for metals, and plastics like slower speed,< 100 rpm, even as low as 20 for some applications. Speed is important also in your choice.

Mike, the primary purpose will be for wood.

Brian

Take your dial indicator and look at some old U.S. made drill presses, or if you're lucky, an old mill drill. I sold a Rockwell drill press with no measurable runout to a local cabinet maker . It came from a machine shop. I do not believe you will find a modern drill press that tight unless you pay mill drill money for it.

Brian, PM me with some contact information if you are interested in looking at a milling machine. I have one in my shop that I might be interested in parting with.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

My old Walker-Turner has about 3 1/2 thousandths runout, and I haven't run into any woodworking situation where it mattered. Just curious --what are you trying to do with wood that needs so much precision?

Pete

You can get a used Bridgeport for about 2 - 3 grand.

Brain, a milling machine is much more versatile than a DP. I’d be lost without mine. If you can swing it, go for it!
    My mill spent it's first life in a busy job shop, the spindle still runs true within a tenth or two.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley
    .....Just curious --what are you trying to do with wood that needs so much precision.....
    I was wondering the same thing? Wood will move more than that with temp and humidity changes. At some point, the accuracy of your machine is defeated by factors outside of your control.

I would absolutely LOVE a Bridgeport but getting it into my basement shop would be a challenge. Someday when I have a stand alone shop, that will be my first purchase.

Gary K.