Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which level of Kreg Jig?

which level of Kreg Jig?

I am getting ready to make some dressers and would like to use a pocket hole jig for the face frames and possibly drawer construction. (Shooting for relative speed and durability rather than craftsmanship and absence of metal fasteners, these are going to be for my daughters and will get a lot of hard use). Anyway, I have a question about which level of Jig is needed. I am sort of set on the R2 Rocket (49.95) but am willing to spend more on a K3 Master System (139.95) or K3 Standard System (74.95) if all the other bells and whistles are warranted. Do the extras with the Master System over the R2 justify the additional 90.00? Like I said, I mostly want to do face frames and drawers box construction.

TIA
    Jason Morgan

I have the older Kreg system that I paid about $140 for. I would recommend that one or the newer version. Once you start with pocket screws you will find many uses. I use them a lot for jigs and fixtures and temporary connections. The cheaper ones are just that, cheaper not only in price.

BTW: I find that genuine Kreg screws work best for me. I buy the 1000 screw boxes and have the 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" sizes in both coarse and fine threads.

CPeter

I have the older 2000 system. I use the stationary clamp (comes w/ Master sys) a lot more than the rocket/pocket but they are all useful at times. I also have the right angle clamp which is usefull. I'm thinking about getting one of the bench clamps too! Great jigs!

4. Jason,

Based on this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=pocket+hole I recently purchased the PSI Pocket Hole Jig and so far am very pleased with it. As far as I can tell it is essentially the same as the Kreg K3 Master except for the portable base, dust collector shroud and material support stop. To me none of these items seemed to be worth the $90-$100 difference in price plus the PSI unit is made of aluminum rather than plastic and comes in a nice wooden box.

As mentioned in the thread above, this version http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10258g.html of the PSI jig is on e-mail special/clearance for $44.95.

My only complaint with the PSI jig is that the adjustment markings on the jig are somewhat hard to read. They are etched/sandblasted into the aluminum so there is little contrast between the jig body and the markings. I figure a few licks with a black Sharpie will fix this.

Hope this helps.

Archie

I got the K3 Master System so I'd have what I needed. I know that if I cheap out and get one of the lesser kits, I will need whatever is not in the smaller kit for the next project. This way, no matter what I want to do, I have the stuff! Also, having everything gives me more options when I get into a project and come upon something that requires a fastening decision.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/kregkervu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I bought the master system and really like having the dust collection when doing a lot of cabinet construction. I am in the middle of a built in project and when drilling 150-200 pocket holes for case construction you can really notice the amount of dust if you don't have the vacuum hooked up.

The Kreg system has been simply great for producing case construction quickly without sacrificing on quality. For the built ins and the shop cabinets, it has been a great tool.

Jeff
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

The Rocket is fine for use in tight spaces and for casual, incidental pocket screw holes, but I wouldn't want to use it for doing a lot of construction. The best value is the kit with the full system...it will give you years and years of use and do just about anything you'll want to do with pocket screws. I have the older, original metal one and it works just fine, but the newer, "blue" system has some nice features that make setup easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought the K3 standard about a year ago at a wood show. I've used it more than expected.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought the master system, and I plan to fork out for the upgrade kit soon.

Why?
    #1- I want the dust collection. As it is, I have to tap out the jig every few holes to clear out the chips. Slows me down
    #2- I want the stationary bench-mounted clamp setup.

best,
    ...art

ps: just buy the screws in boxes of 500. You will use them. Forget the smaller amounts.

Another vote for the K3. The DC really helps make cleaner holes by taking the waste away.

I have two Right Angle clamps that REALLY help to make alignment easier.

One tip if I may that I've found very helpful, the more accurate your square end cuts, the less work there is in getting the frame, box, drawer, whatever square and flat. I spend the time to make sure that my miter saw is perectly dead-on and don't have to think about a tweaked finished piece.

After you get your larger kit and get it set up and start drilling holes, I'm willing to bet that you'l be very glad that you got the larger kit. For drilling more than a couple of holes its just great.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I've made my own system, after wearing out a pc 550 over the years.
    Here's my prototype. Use your own router.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the older version of the master system. I started out with the older version of the rocket, but upgraded after a couple years. Using the quick clamp system really expedites things. It was a project similar in scope to the dresser you are planning that finally made me upgrade.
    Jay St. Peter

If I recall correctly, I have the Pro-pack. I originally bought it to do face-frames but find that I use it for a lot more than I thought I would. It is my go-to-tool for quickly assembling jigs and such. I agree with other posters that you should buy the screws in large quantities as you will go through them. I believe it cost around $130.00 when I bought it. I find the clamp that came with it to be sub-par and would like to upgrade to one with a plate recessed into my bench but I have gotten by with it up to this point.

I bought the Rocket a few years back for a project that the full propack wouldn't have been as handy. My father bought the propack and after that project, I regreted not spending the money. Last year he bought the K3, and then made a portable base for the old propack, then he fanagled a dust chute together for the propack. Works almost as well as the K3.
    I have enough little projects (new screens for the basement, some shop cabinets) that I am going ahead and buying the k3, as there are others who would like to borrow his portable.
    Learn from us, spend the money ONCE!

I strongly endorse the Kreg system. I have an older pro model and love the many new uses I'm discovering for it. I just loaded up on Kreg screws today @ the Rockler 1:1 sale...Its a teriffic tool..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    I strongly endorse the Kreg system. I have an older pro model and love the many new uses I'm discovering for it. I just loaded up on Kreg screws today @ the Rockler 1:1 sale...Its a teriffic tool..

What sale is that Jerry?

I just went and checked and I don't see the Kreg screws on sale, just for sale at the regular price. What am I missing?
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 09-05-2006 at 8:44 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.