Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft survey

I would shop at the same Woodcraft as Tyler and Al do but the few times I have, I've been given downright lousy service. I won't go into details but I also won't spend my money there either.

I have had good experiences the few times I've been into the Woodcraft in Madison, WI. so clearly it is a local thing. Too bad that store is so far away.

I spent about 15 years in retail selling cameras and managing camera stores in the Twin Cities. 4 employers over that time although 2 sold out to what I now call the "Evil Empire". the 4th and last is privately owned. All but the "Evil Empire" stressed customer service as the number one issue and we strove to give the best CS we could do. That required being well trained and following through, listening to customers and ferreting out what they really need and then satisfying that need.

In my current job much of it could be considered customer service. Now, if I don't give good service really bad things can happen for the customer.

We knew customers could go elsewhere for their cameras so we worked hard to go the extra mile to prove to them that they should spend their money with us.

Perhaps spending so much of my life concentrating on customer service has made me overly sensitive to poor service. I tend not to be very tolerant of poor customer service and will often not give a store a second shot. I don't accept that someone was having an off day as an excuse.

I rarely feel that the folks in retail stores care if I do my business with them or not. I don't understand why staff in many stores are not being trained to do good customer service anymore.

Most of my major purchases have been online. All my large tools have come through Amazon and I've never had a lick of trouble. Their prices have been lower than Woodcraft and the stuff is delivered to my door at no extra charge. In fact when I've been home for the delivery, the drivers have not only brought the machines into the shop, they've been almost as eager as I am to see what's inside.

And of course there's Lee Valley whose customer service is superb.

When I am in the market for woodworking stuff--tools, accessories, hardware, etc. it doesn't even cross my mind to consider Woodcraft anymore.

I guess I'm like David in that I use the Tulsa store. I've found the sales people always friendly and savy. I also like the idea that on one thread of mine, talking about rust removal, I got a response from the store with a product recommendation. I buy all my stuff from them erxcept for m,y two big griz buys. I'm like many small town folks, if I don't use the local store it will eventually disappear.

Just filled it out

Funny, I just finshed filling out the survey. I also think that they ask some silly questions. For example, they ask which is most important, price or customer service. To me the answer is both. Luckily, I can't complain about my local Woodcraft. They have excellent people there.

Liem

I shop at the Rochester, NY store and as Bob Michaels said earlier, it's a class act. The owner supports our local woodworker society with free access to the workshop/classroom for meetings and classes and gives the members a 10% discount on anything (excluding sales items and power tools) anytime we show our membership card. I've also bought big and small items and have had great customer service.

I frequent three Woodcraft stores in Florida. All three are good, but I do definitely have my favorite and least favorite....... It's all in the ownership, day to day management and quality of employees.

I also buy from them over the Internet, none of the three are conveniently located to me, two I only visit when in the area for other reasons. I remember (and dealt with) Woodcraft BEFORE they had stores and BEFORE Internet !!
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-07-2006 at 7:21 PM.
    Tony

Smile

This is an interesting thread. I just feel I have to put in a plug for my local Woodcraft in Norfolk, Va. Big modern store, well stocked, staffed by men and women very knowledgeble in all facets of woodwoking. They never fail to greet you as you come in to the store, whether you are known to them or not. They follow up sales, questions.... with phone calls.... yeah...phone calls, just to check if you are satified or to solve any problems, or to let you know your order is in. How about hand written thank you notes for shopping there..... you read that right.... HAND WRITTEN, not typed. I have shopped woodworking stores around the country, mainly the east coast very few compare to this one. Usual disclaimer here, I do not work for nor am I associated with Woodcraft..... just felt the word should be out there about a well run store, staffed by good people.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress
    Our local WC is hit or miss. They have some knowledgable folks if you get lucky, but some of the others--well. And the prices seem awfully high.

I went there when I first began setting up my shop to get a pair of banquet table legs to build a sheet goods cutting table. The salesperson looked down his nose at me and said "Woodcraft would never carry such an item." I decided it was pointless to tell him the reason I came there was because I had seen them on the WC web site and instead just bought some at the Borg. Since then I only go there when I need it now and no one else has it.

Oops..seems to be a double post. Sorry.
    Bob, I find it hard to belive any one actually buys banquet table legs. I just carry cordless drill with me and get free ones from old (water soaked) tables thrown to the curb. When I first saw the all plastic (no particle board) tables,I thought what an IDIOT made them. He can't sell you a new one every couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    I would shop at the same Woodcraft as Tyler and Al do but the few times I have, I've been given downright lousy service. I won't go into details but I also won't spend my money there either.

I have had good experiences the few times I've been into the Woodcraft in Madison, WI. so clearly it is a local thing. Too bad that store is so far away.

I spent about 15 years in retail selling cameras and managing camera stores in the Twin Cities. 4 employers over that time although 2 sold out to what I now call the "Evil Empire". the 4th and last is privately owned. All but the "Evil Empire" stressed customer service as the number one issue and we strove to give the best CS we could do. That required being well trained and following through, listening to customers and ferreting out what they really need and then satisfying that need.

In my current job much of it could be considered customer service. Now, if I don't give good service really bad things can happen for the customer.

We knew customers could go elsewhere for their cameras so we worked hard to go the extra mile to prove to them that they should spend their money with us.

Perhaps spending so much of my life concentrating on customer service has made me overly sensitive to poor service. I tend not to be very tolerant of poor customer service and will often not give a store a second shot. I don't accept that someone was having an off day as an excuse.

I rarely feel that the folks in retail stores care if I do my business with them or not. I don't understand why staff in many stores are not being trained to do good customer service anymore.

Most of my major purchases have been online. All my large tools have come through Amazon and I've never had a lick of trouble. Their prices have been lower than Woodcraft and the stuff is delivered to my door at no extra charge. In fact when I've been home for the delivery, the drivers have not only brought the machines into the shop, they've been almost as eager as I am to see what's inside.

And of course there's Lee Valley whose customer service is superb.

When I am in the market for woodworking stuff--tools, accessories, hardware, etc. it doesn't even cross my mind to consider Woodcraft anymore.
    I find it funny how People will complain about customer service in stores but consider shopping on-line to be great service when they take your money and you never get to see or speak to anyone.

Blog Entries
    Some places don't charge tax to sell to some other places; it varies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert
    I find it funny how People will complain about customer service in stores but consider shopping on-line to be great service when they take your money and you never get to see or speak to anyone.
    Thank you for misreading my post.

I didn't say I consider shopping on-line to be great customer service. In fact I don't. I don't expect customer service of any sort when I shop on line. When I get it I'm pleasantly surprised. What I was saying is I have never been given good customer service at the one Woodcraft store that is nearest to me. I shop on line because while I might not get customer service there either, I do pay less and have the stuff delivered to me.

Explain to me why I should drive an hour and a half to be given poor treatment and pay more money.

Problem is, it isn't just woodworking. I buy a fair amount of marine hardware and would do business with the large marine retail chain but I get the same we-don't-care-if-you-shop-here-or-not attitude that I've gotten at Woodcraft. So I don't shop there.

The main point is there are a lot of alternatives out there for the customer. If a retailer treats its customers as if they don't matter, eventually it won't be an issue because the store won't have any customers.

I'm happy for those who have Woodcraft stores that give them good service. They need to let those folks know that they appreciate that good service.

Ventura CA Woodcraft

Hello Folks,

New to the creek here but I just wanted to talk about the Ventura CA store.

Very friendly and always helpful whether I was spending $20 or $2000. Actually talked me out of a few poor tool decisions based on what kind of shop I was trying to build without pushing an upsell.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the Ventura CA Woodcraft but I would recommend them to any of my friends.

Thanks,

BUCS(SCW/MDV) Eric Eaton (USN Active Duty)
    Active Duty Navy SeaBee Diver ...
    24 Years and Counting
    Hooyah America !

Quote Originally Posted by rodney mitchell View Post
    I live about 90 miles from the Fort Worth Texas store, but always try to stop in when I am in town. I have made some major tool purchases there in the last year by waiting for a manufacturer's or store rebate or special so I could get the tool there instead of amazon. Even though I do love amazon.
    The store is extremely well managed and stocked. All the staff is knowledgable and friendly, in short, a very good store. Dennis (the manager), you're doing a great job!

RM
    +1 for the Fort Worth store. I have made 2 major tool purchases there ( Jet 1642 lateh and Rikon 18" bandsaw) and they beat the online price I compared with. Their pricing on other items is competetive and the staff is friendly and knowledgable. Recently moved to El Paso and will miss going to this store.
    Havent been able to find any woodworking stores out here.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

Every customer has their standard for customer service. Customer service for me is if I have a problem the retailer will help me out. I am a price shopper. With the Internet I can ask questions about a tool I am looking at and get answers from actual users. I know what I want when I fist step foot into a store. As long as the kid behind the register can run my card I am one happy camper as long as I get a deal.
    I work in retail. In a survey customer service always rank at the top of the list. but fact is, it's price. Wal-Mart did not get to be the biggest retailer in the world because of service.
    A company like Lee Valley can provide great customer service and have proved they deserve our business BUT......See a post for a great deal on Bessy clamps and we all will jump ship and deal with a substandard company.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

I research as much as I can online and often have to order online on blind faith. The nearest woodworking stocking retailer is 110 miles away..the next couple are 260-300 miles away.

Customer service to me is extemely important. It adds value to my purchase in my humble opinion. Take CraftSupply or Berea Hardwoods or The Best Things or Arizona Silhouette for example. I have had dealings with all of those folks and had to call back due to problems created by me or them. They have always went out of their way to not only be fair with me but help me take a bad situation and turn it into a good situation. Though I hold a grudge of sorts against Woodcraft Corporate, I will say the fine folks at the WoodCraft Store in Spokane have always been great to deal with and have helped me several times by going beyond the norm.

While it may be "price" to you Dave, I will pay a little more to get great customer service.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

+1 for paying a little more for customer service when I had my own business.

As to Woodcraft I live 100+ miles from any large city. I have a couple of step daughters in the Kansas City Area and I usually frequent the Woodcraft and Rockler independents in Lenexa, ks., both are just off the interstate very close to each other. I have found them to be very knowledgeable and friendly. I don't buy large ticket items as I am mostly a Neander WWer. but I have been forced to venture into the tailed world some because of my health issues. Normally I order online as gas is so expensive. I usually get 2 day service from Rockler online because of Spee Dee Delivery. Mostly I just like to walk in and browse and if I see something that I really need I grab it while I am there.
    Both stores I frequent also have knowlegable, friendly people, and both stores seem to be well stocked to me.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand