Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work gloves!

Angry Work gloves!

This is sort of off topic, but it has to deal with a lot of the outside work I do involving wood - firewood, turning wood, etc. I am on my last pair of work gloves designed for winter use, and they have numerous holes in them. I will do well if they last me into the middle of the fall season, much less through another winter.

Why not go buy some more you say? I will tell you why. There aren't any to be had around here! I have been in almost every hardware store, home center, big box store, Tractor Supply, so on and so forth looking for work gloves. There are two problems. The first and the biggest is, people don't seem to think that there are people with large hands on this planet. Second, the buyers for the stores around here must think work gloves of any size should be flimsy rubber or cloth, maybe for keeping the dirt from getting under the user's manicured nails while moving some potting soil around the garden.

Does anyone here have a source for real gloves made of real leather for real big hands? I would dearly love to find some. I would be happy for summer weight right about now. They don't seem to be around in my size either, unless someone makes a mistake with their sewing machine and makes a pair oversized.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill...........I'm 6' 1"...........250 lbs..........I wear a large hat and have large hands.....I don't know how my hand size compares to yours but I wear LARGE gloves. The leather ones I using right now have an adjustable strap across the back and a little bit of an open cuff that goes up the wrist. I also have some insulated winter ones that I wear. Is that what you are looking for?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-07-2006 at 2:29 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bill,

I've had good luck with everything I have ordered from Duluth Trading - never gloves though. The gloves are expensive, but looks like they might have what you are looking for - and size.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/?proces...=&filter=&pg=0

If nothing else, it might give a brand to search on.

Good luck,

Wes

gloves

http://tinyurl.com/r32rx

Aerostich Elkskin Ropers. Good company to deal with.
    You don't have any farm supply stores nearby?

Am I allowed to say "Wal-Mart" here? Nobody's shot me yet.
    Wal-Mart is where I have always bought mine.

Thanks guys. For those who have not met me, it is a little hard to describe myself. I'm not unusually tall - 6' 2", and even that is if I stretch, since I seem to be getting shorter now. Last time I checked I tipped the scale at 400 lbs. People ask me who I played pro football for.

I wear a size 8 hat most of the time, 7 7/8 the rest of the time. Boot size varies, but 15 is the norm. Gloves? Large won't even come close to getting onto my hand most of the time. Even the XL ones I have found on rare occasion are hard to fit.

Yeah Frank, I go to Walmart too, and their gloves don't fit me either.

I'll look around up here in the frozen north for "monster" leather gloves this weekend if you'd like. Lots of "large" types up here as well working in the oil fields - helps make it thru the 6-7 month winters How wide are your palms? and I'm guessing you are looking for insulated......
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    This is sort of off topic, but it has to deal with a lot of the outside work I do involving wood - firewood, turning wood, etc. I am on my last pair of work gloves designed for winter use, and they have numerous holes in them. I will do well if they last me into the middle of the fall season, much less through another winter.

Bill
    You can try here Bill.
    We wear a lot of gloves up here in the oil patch Maybe that's why the big selection.
    Cheers
    Bob

http://www.bobdalegloves.com/catalog...es&page_num=12

I see Wes beat me to it...Duluth Trading. Excellent source for all kinds of "work gear and apparel". In fact, I wear the long-tail pocket tees nearly every day I'm not in front of customers with the "real job". They have "a lot" of glove choices available....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Bill,

Here is what I use due to arthritis in my hands.

http://www.bionicgloves.com/gloves/heavy/

They are very good and the XXL size fits me pretty good too! Click on the SIZING link for measuring and sizes.

Made by Hillerich and Bradsby Co. the Louisville Slugger bat company.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Duluth (In Minnesota ) Trading of course. Good stuff
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Might try Gemplers

Hi Bill,

Go to the friendly welding supply store that hopefully you found when you took your welding class. They should have a nice pair of pig skins for you uninsulated and a selection of insulated gloves too.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Beside Gemplers and an Oil Drilling supply company why not look at Lee Valley.

15. Motorcycle shops will sometimes have REALLY good winter leather gloves, and they usually have BIG sizes too.

If you can find them, the best leather gloves, IMHO are made from either Deer or Kangaroo.

Good luck!