View Poll Results: For users of this saw, how well does it perform?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easily handles everything I use it for assuming proper maintenance, sharp blades etc

9 100.00%
  • Pretty good but still lacking compared to full blown cabinet saw

0 0%
  • Should have spent more for a full cabinet saw or saved money with a good Contractor saw

0 0%
  • Pure disappointment. Waste of money.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Extended Warranty for Craftsman 22124 Hybrid Saw

Extended Warranty for Craftsman 22124 Hybrid Saw

I just ordered this saw and was quoted approx $70 for a 5 year extended warranty for this saw which also includes once a year tune up / adjusment of the saw if needed.

What is that and is this worth while? I tend to avoid extended warranties like the plague, but am feeling diferent about this one for some reason.

Any thoughts or ideas? Especially from people who own this saw or other recent Craftsman power tools and either have or regret not having the extended warranty.

Thanks

Unless you think the motor will give out, I would not buy the warrantee. Other parts should not be too expensive and you can repair it. There's just not much that can fail, other than the motor.

As far as letting someone else "adjust" my saw, I just wouldn't trust any general repair person to know how to set up the saw properly.

Mike

IMHO an extended warranty is a ripoff, from Sears a Total Ripoff. Save the $70 for a good miter gage, the one that comes with the 22124 leaves a lot to be desired .

BTW, I bought the Craftsman 22124 (without the extended warranty ) in May '05 and have been very pleased with it. Good saw for a home shop ..........

PS.... just noticed your poll but didn't vote, can't find a good answer in the choices. IMO, it's a good saw for a home shop, has done everything I have asked it to including 8/4 hard maple. If I had a production shop and used it daily I would have gotten a bigger (3-5 hp) professional (unisaw, PM) machine.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-07-2006 at 7:09 PM.
    Tony

I'm not one for extended warranties b/c I know they're stacked in favor of the warranty provider. Reliability studies show that most mechanisms that are going to fail prematurely, fail VERY prematurely, usually while still under the original warranty. If it doesn't fail in it's infancy, they usually perform as expected for the normal life of whatever the device or mechanism is....in this case, most parts will go years/decades with minor care. A $70 expenditure for an extended warranty would drive me nuts....it's against the principles of the bargain hunter in me!

That said, some people would rather spend the $70 for the peace of mind. I have a friend who's got the warranty, and knowing him, it was a good purchase. So while I don't believe it's necessary and it's not for me, if it buys you $70 worth of sleep...no major harm done and some potential added protection.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I took the two year just because I have read about a couple minor failures with this saw that occurred a year or so after purchase (one motor and one something else). The extended warranty covers the part and they bring it out to you and put it on. For $40 for two years, I went for it. I normally, like you, do not purchase extended warranties.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    What Mike said. I'm too picky about that sort of thing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stores push extender warrantees because it protects “them” If it fails they do not have to take it back. I use to sell electronics and pushed the extended warranties. A warranty I sold for $80 cost the store $7.00. The big electronic stores have such good prices because most people buy the warranty so they can sell an item at or below cost and still make a profit.

I bought this saw with a major Platinum card and a perk of using Gold or Platinum cards is an automatic doubling of Manufacturer Warranties for things like this. I am effectively covered for 2 years against motor failure and the such. My curiosity over the protection offered through Sears was due to alot of negative things I have read from some anti Craftsman people. With the positive feedback I have received from this post and others, I feel reassured that this won't be a major problem that won't show up within the first two years while I have coverage.

Thanks

Personally I find what the stores own employees say among one another about the products they sell to be very informative. This includes PA's that Sears sells. Keep in mind that these are both current and former employees, disgruntled and cheerleaders alike, on the topic of Sears extended warranty agreements.

http://www.retailworker.com/node/28003

If one takes a look at the list of threads there is also a very current thread concerning their policies on tool batteries.