Thread: Different router table extension question

Different router table extension question

Ignoring the issue of legs on a mobile base, I removed the left wing of my TS3612 table saw and then measured where I should drill holes in the Rockler router extension table. Umm, there isn't enough room--the predrilled holes in my table start 1/2" from the table surface. That means I would drill halfway between the router table and the oak apron that is preinstalled. That would not be solid and would screw up the table top for sure. The router table extension didn't come with any instructions and there is nothing on the web site (and a google search wasn't very helpful).
    I assume other table saws have deeper wings?

Should I drill holes lower in the table saw? (and with what?)
    Bb

If I understand your problem you can take a piece of aluminum angle iron and bolt that to the saws table. Then you can attach the extension from the bottom of the angle iron. That allows you to easily shim the extension to match the height of the cast iron table. The only other thing you will need to do is chisel or rout out a couple of notches to allow clearance for the bolts that attach the angle to the table. The result is very strong.

Craig

One more solution that I used. I cut a 1 1/2"" thick, by 3" wide. piece of hard maple the length of the tablesaw edge. I bolted this to the edge of the table saw through the existing holes, bolt heads were recessed into the wood. The 3" hardwood face extending down from the tablesaw table gave me plenty of opportunity to locate new mounting holes for the router table.

A picture

Mike, I like your suggestion. I might even have enough maple on hand.

Here is a better description of the dilemma:
    tabledilemma2.jpg
    Bb

Blog Entries
    I used Mike's solution with great success. Added benefit; I attached the RT frame and then was able to shim the top of the frame to bring the Rockler RT into close alignment with the plane of the saw top. This also came in handy as I could remove the top and reinforce the area under the dado I cut for the miter slot as the Rockler top is a little thin to support this on it's own.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Progress!

So far so good!

MikesSolution.jpg

I had some maple (whew!), but I had to hit the store for more bolts. One oops where I didn't check where the table was attached to the apron.

Tightened it all down, leveled it pretty close and voila!
    TaDah.jpg

Now I have to work on the legs. I have cut out the pieces (poplar, I don't have enough oak or maple laying about). but I still need to address the uneven floor issue.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Bb

Blog Entries
    I drilled holes in the floor-ends of my legs, inserted t-nuts and 3/8 bolts. I simply screw the bolts in or out to level the table. Prior to this method I had added the legs at an angle from the outer edge of the RT terminating at the mobile base of the TS. Again I had used threaded "feet" to rest against the mobile base and allow leveling of the RT while still being mobile via "standing" the end of the legs on the mobile base. I changed as I no longer have the TS / RT on wheels. Good luck!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler