Thread: Air Cleaner and Trend Face Shield

Air Cleaner and Trend Face Shield

I am looking at getting a air cleaner for the shop as I am getting tired of the dust everywhere and in my clock shop. Dust collector does pretty good but not quite good enough when sanding. I have seen the one from PSI and like the features. Body shop here uses 3 of them. My question is if I get this air cleaner, hang it in the shope and use it along with the DC would I need the Trend face shield or would a dust mask with the dust filters be ok? It is getting the fallish time of year and winter won't be far behind which means the doors won't be open and box fans blowing the dust out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,

If you can swing it all three would be great. I highly recommend the Trend air shield. Until you have tried one, you have no idea how much of an improvement it is over the paper dust masks. The air shield will protect while you work. The DC will pull dust away from your project while you work. The air cleaner will clean the air while you sleep. A good combination, but still not the cyclone..... then again even it is not 100%
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 09-10-2006 at 4:03 PM.

Bernie, IMHO nothing will keep the dust out of the clock shop when sanding, not even a cyclone. If you look at a filter unit, check the size of the primary filter to see if they are available from the big box store. Some of the older units (which is what I have) use off sized filters that are $10+ and there are comparable filters that are slightly larger (just big enough not to work) for half that. You will use 3-10 (maybe even more) primary filters for each secondary filter you go through. The air shield is a good thing.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    ... I am getting tired of the dust everywhere and in my clock shop.
    How are the wood and clock shops separated, if at all? Pictures of any transition areas would help.

Bernie, I have one of the PSI units mounted to the ceiling, and the thing collects a lot of dust. I bought it when I was remodeling to collect drywall dust. (More comes off as dust than stays on the walls.) It did an admirable job of that. The unit cost me 200 bucks and I'm glad I bought it. I would not use it as a primary dust collection system in my shop, but as an ancillary one.
    You can collect a lot of dust by setting a cheap fan in a box and putting an A/C filter over one end of the box, such that the fan is sucking air through the filter. Far cheaper, but will not collect the small particles the PSI unit will.
    Joe

Bernie..........I really like my Trend! I often wear it when I'm turning as it's a face shield and air filter too! The blowing air across my forehead keeps me from sweating and thus prevents sweat from getting on my glasses, an added bonus.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bernie, I have a DC and an air filtration system in my small shop. In my opinion, neither one will do an effective job of catching all of the ambient dust in the air, especially while sanding. The most useful piece of equipment you could add is a powered respirator. Your lungs will thank you. I have a Trend and like it alot. Ed

Well I think I am going to order the PSI unit for $229. I am also going to order the Trend. I figure with those two and the DC it should make short order of the dust.

Ed T. my clock shop is seperated by a wall but I have a door between them that more times than not I leave the dang thing open after sanding and go to the house for something. I had not planned on falling in love with turning but did. I usually fixed plus built clock cases and it was handy having the shop in the next room. Hopefully I can get that problem solved with the air cleaner.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I am also going to order the Trend. I figure with those two and the DC it should make short order of the dust.
    Excellent move there Bernie!!!! You'll really like the Trend.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bernie, Wood issue # 172 Oct 2006 has a write up on air filtrations. They came up with the JDS 750-ER as the one they prefer. The Pen State AC620 was right behind it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Lee
    Bernie, Wood issue # 172 Oct 2006 has a write up on air filtrations. They came up with the JDS 750-ER as the one they prefer. The Pen State AC620 was right behind it.
    Bob
    Yes and it was funny because I picked up that magazine Friday. Did a little reading and study of that article. Thanks again for all the help. I should get the order out this week.
    Bernie

... my clock shop is seperated by a wall but I have a door between them that more times than not I leave the dang thing open after sanding ... Hopefully I can get that problem solved with the air cleaner.
    Kinda thought that would be the situation. The air cleaner in itself will probably not be the solution. In fact, while it's blowing all that dusty air around in an attempt to scrub it, it may make the situation worse.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Commercial print shop in front, WWing in the back, and paper came and went through the back. Sometimes when the shipping door was opened, the wind pressure would open the front door of the shop a crack. I solved the dust migration problem by building an air cleaner which blew the cleaned air across the doorway. Never did get around to mounting doors in the opening and didn't have any dust in the front.

AirKnife.jpg

You could maybe set up some plastic strips the go across the doorway like they used to have at the grocery stores to keep the refrigerated sections cool.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Lee
    Bob
    Since I'm looking for air filtering in my shop also, I took a close look at that article. I was surprised to find the box fan with the filter taped to it as a very economical alternative right behind the top picks as a means to filter the air until tool budget allow the JDS or Penn State.

Jim

Found a place to get the Trend Airshield for $239. They are Enviro Safety Products. Extra batteries for $32. Chad told me they had a complete compliment of parts. No affiliation with them at all. Just sounds like a good price.
    Bernie