Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning,

I'm about to leave work for the night and wanted to get this out as I hope to be sleeping during the time I would normally be posting the Weekend Accomplishsments thread.

This weekend I finished up 3 display cabinets to where all I need to do now is just make the sliding doors for the back of each cabinet and then they will be ready for delivery. Lucky for me, the owner will be sanding, staining, and topcoating the cabinets. These cabinets are for the 2nd Chance Youth Ranch where troubled kids are staying during a recovery of a bad home or just don't have any parents or family at all. The materials were donated, so I had to make cabinets out of pine 2 by 4's and some of the worse looking 3/8" plywood that I belive I've ever seen. Ever heard of making a purse out of a sow's ear? Well, that's exactly what I had to do here. But I feel that my donated labor was well worth this very worthy cause.

Church on Sunday morning, cut and hauled firewood on Saturday morning. Gotta love it when firewood to heat the home is free for the taking. I'm not cutting down any healthy trees, but getting ones that have been taken down due to development in the surrounding area.

Had to work tonight at "work" and I'm about to head out and get some sleep before having to come back in to work.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Made good progress on the blanket chest for LOML. Finally got it to where it looks like a chest, and not a random assortment of boards laying around the shop. Got sick as a dog with a stomach bug, or food poisioning, not sure which. I feel much better now.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Got the new dog cart put together yesterday and got the first coat of finish on it. I don't have pictures of mine yet, but it will be similar to this, only made of cherry, tiger maple, and mahogany.

Purchased and installed all new hardware on the kitchen cabinets. (Do you know what knobs and handles cost?? When you need 33 knobs and 11 handles! )

Sunday, kind of took it easy. Mowed the lawn and designed new lighting scheme for the kitchen. Now to buy the lights and get them installed.

Have a great week.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Watched my brother swim/bike/run a sprint triathalon Saturday morning and did family stuff the rest of the day. Sunday we went to a huge car show at the GM Powertrain plant in Toledo. On the way home picked up some landscape blocks to build a small (16" high by 5' long) retaining wall to hide the sump pump drain on my shop and installed them. And that's about it. This week I'm going to start a new WW project, the first since spring.

Had a pretty good weekend, Sat went to Rocklers to pick up a cabinet how to book, and seen a pile of the Jet clamps on sale, which when I called they said they didn't know anything about or have...so I bought a set of the clamps they didn't have...

Worked in the garage mounting another parts cabinet to the wall,
    and built a rack for the new clamps, then stained the miter saw cabinet.

Sunday I added a coat of poly and considering it was about 55 degree's and raining, I got to watch paint..er..poly dry all day, gave me time to rehash the mistakes I made on the cabinet, and add to the learning curve.

Finally threw away the last of the drag racing stuff, some manuals, parts books, trophy's and a ton of notes I'd taken during the years, hated to see it all go, but I still have a few VHS tapes and maybe that's enough.

Good part is I now have room in my file cabinet for Wood Working books....

Al

Mine were finished last week, but they were delivered this weekend. I posted it earlier last week, but I thought I should share them again.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42488
    Oh, and the orange wood turned out to be padouk.

Hmmm, what *did* I do this weekend?

Well, on Saturday we dragged the kids off to a harvest parade in a small town nearby... I'm curious, do people throw out candy at parades all over the place nowadays? They didn't when I was a kid, but in the towns near here that seems to be the standard. At least every other float/group is tossing out candy to the kids in the crowd.

Then it was off to the thrift store to try and find some hockey gear for the boys. We've signed up the two oldest (7 + 9) with a homeschoolers hockey league, new thing for them, and they're very excited.

And of course church on Sunday - new start of the sunday school year. I'm teaching 3 yr olds this year, which is the class that my youngest will be in. So far I've taught gr2 and gr1 kids, and this will be a first with the younger set. Play-Do and Flannelgraphs, here I come! (my turn doesn't start 'til October, so I've got plenty of time to make myself nervous...)

But in terms of woodworking I had a good weekend also.
    I finished up four cutting boards...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42671

and I also knocked together a wooden low-rider mobile tool base for my bandsaw, like these plans:http://www.lautard.com/casters.html
    (SCROLL HALF-WAY DOWN) We'll see how well it holds up to use.

I've been trying to get around to rearranging my shop a bit, so I could do better dust collection, have a bit more room, and better organized storage. This is the first step, getting that bandsaw moved!

Have a great week, SMC!

Sprayed 5 coats of finish on 14 of 35 doors / end panels for my kitchen project - 21 left. That took most of the weekend. This project is never going to be done.

worked on drawer, got most of em glued up and assembled.3 left to do which I'll finish this week. Did some turning. Watched races and went to church, spoiled my grandaughter.. Talked to Andy Hoyt of the phone.

Camping wth Cub Scouts - great fun without shop time

Our Pack had a GREAT weekend at the Castle at BSA Camp Tuckahoe:
    http://www.yaac-bsa.org/tuckahoe/camp%20tour/castle.htm

The kids made knight helmets:
    http://www.clevelandart.org/Kids/art/haveago/armor.html

And then they jousted targets (paper plates w/ center cut out hung from a rope) with 6 ft. 3/4" PVC conduit lances while wearing the helmets.

Then, there was a dragon chase the kids (capture the flag on the top deck) without the flag & adult 'dragons').

Toss in an hour chasing each other on the large Pirate Ship at Tuckahoe, and they were starting to Tuck-er out.

It was fun and, in spite of a rainshower AFTER we had prepped the campfire, we prevailed and had S'mores after the campfire program Sat night.

Wasn't in the shop at all, but it was certainly a rewarding weekend!

I hope everyone else's weekend was as great as mine was.
    -Mike

Spoke with Don Baer on the phone
    Only the Blue Roads

weekend drooling

Didn't do to much, worked on my son's wallet box, had better luck with the top mating with the bottom than with previous boxes. Surprisely, the hardwood strip I put in the middle of two birch pieces stained well with the dark walnut, and the walnut stained dowels slid right in (no tear-out at all), now all I have to do is poly everything, and hopefully get my son to take some digital pics. of it.

Spent most of Sunday cooking pork and kraut in crockpot, AND some extreme drooling over the two new Lee Valley catalogs....dang! Someone want to lend me a zillion bucks? Those cat's have everthing in them! Was going to go to Rocklers, but found whole bunch of shiny toys in LV.
    You cannot control the action of others, you can only control your reaction to them.

Dish Holder

Needed a dish holder for the newest addition to the family, and decided to try my hand at hand cut dovetails at the same time. Didn't turn out too bad considering its my first attemt in 24 years. The wood made it a little tough as you could snap the 1" board with your bare hands. The age hides the cracks well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

Went to the Wood Expo at LL Johnson in Charlotte Mi. , saw a few demos and had my son turn a pen, he loved it and wants to buy a lathe,NOW. looked at all the new tools I can't afford and only spent $1.00 for some dowles. I just gave to a local college for my oldest son so I am broke. they did let me keep the pen I used to sign the check. It is the most expensive pen I have ever had.

No time in the shop, maybe tonight.