Thread: Gluing Bamboo?

Gluing Bamboo?

Hi folks,

Cousin/Soon-to-be-Cousin-in-law commissioned us to design/make an Asian inspired frame that will be holding menu at each wedding banquet table. ugh, they have 25-ish tables

We glued the second bar onto the side poles with hot glue, but that kinda failed after a short bit of time .

I plan to sand the contact surface where the glue will go before gluing. Also, is it worth finishing the bamboo? It kinda already has a waxy layer on it.

This is what we have so far, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with a particular type of glue?

Thanks!!

(very small eyebolts will be screwed into the top bar and menu will be hung via ribbon, bride's decision. bottom is ash with roman ogee.)

helen, how `bout drilling the members and pegging them together with more bamboo? (skewers for kabobs comes to mind) ...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Google "bamboo joinery" and you'll hit some interesting stuff.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    helen, how `bout drilling the members and pegging them together with more bamboo? (skewers for kabobs comes to mind) ...02 tod
    Thanks Tod!! I think if it were my own project, I would try that out, that sounds pretty cool! But I gotta do 25 of these suckers and got 2 weekends .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Google "bamboo joinery" and you'll hit some interesting stuff.
    Thanks Chris! I was actually googling for "glue bamboo" so I didn't get as many returns. A lot of the posts seem to be for larger scale applications like furniture/houses but some of those joinery techniques are pretty cool. I'm already joining the top bar by drilling holes, that was the easiest way. I figured glue would be easier and quicker since I have to crank out so many.

I've used Titebond II and Raka epoxy to glue together bamboo fly rod sections. This was gluing bamboo pith (interior) sides to pith sides. If you plan to glue the outer side to outer side, it may be a good idea to rough up the enamel in the areas to be joined. Hope this helps.

Kurt

Gorilla Glue?
    Maurice

Thanks guys!! I am going to give gorilla glue a try later today!!

Tod and Chris, I actually picked up a book on using bamboo for crafts and garden things at the library yesterday. There are some really neat things in there including the peg method and different joinery (well, mostly cut a hole and put other bamboo in, nail, and binding). I'll definitely play around with these joinery methods when I get more time after the cousin's wedding and maybe remake the frame for myself with those different methods .

I'll post pics of the frames when we are all done

I used Gorilla Glue to edge glue Timbertech composite lumber, the 5/4 stuff that is solid, and it held flawlessly. I tried breaking the joint and couldn't. The only drawback for me was scraping the foam but by wiping the surface as it dried with a damp cloth that was reduce to almost nothing. Bamboo, since it is smooth should be no problem.

Why not try a dab of med or thick CA?