Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City Kid Moving to the Country

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Question City Kid Moving to the Country

Looking at a new house.
    You guys can pile it pretty high around here, so I figured this was the best place to to ask a few questions about septic systems.
    I've heard the usable life of a drain field (even well maintained is about 25 years.)
    Including an inspection and testing I'm not sure what to ask of the seller. The data shows this one is 30 years old.
    TIA
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-12-2006 at 3:20 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler, is this the house you sent pictures of?

Tyler,

With a well drained septic field, it really depends on the load on the system. I have 4 kids and we have to have our septic pumped out every other year due to the load on the "system". Now, we live where it's flat and where it's swampy during the winter months. Folks up on higher ground don't have the same problem as we do.

For a good reference point, I'd have it checked/inspected and get the system layout and health department approval from the local authorities from when it was first installed. I didn't do this and I've been paying to maintain what I have now for the last 4 years and the house / system is only 10 years old presently.

Realistically, I think you'll be alright and ain't nuttin wrong with being in the kuntry. Shoot, I'll have to send ya a pair of Bib Overalls to get you broke in right.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Considering this is coming from someone who's only seen a drain field, I've heard they can do a "percolator" test on the drain field to see what kinda shape its in.
    Also if the drain field dies on ya, I think they can go to a above ground system, looks like a big mound of dirt/grass, but this will probably cost 10k or more...I think.

Al

you will want to make sure you have a perc test done for a replacement leechfield and know going in what the cost of replacment will be. I think I would want to have someone look at both the septic tank and leechfield before making an offer. 10k seems really steep to replace the leechfield..here in VT ours about 3500. I think if it were me I would want to build that cost into the morgage and start with a clean slate so to speak.

Do get the septic tank pumped out fairly soon after moving in. That way you will have a reference point. Depending on a lot of factors, the tank needs pumping every three to ten years. If the drain field seems OK now, don't worry about it unles problems arise. Our septic guy says never to use the commercial products for a tank. They will liquefy the 'stuff' but it rehardens in the leach lines. That's bad. Reccomendation is to occaisionally put a couple packets of yeast down the toilets and let the good buggies have a feast. We are going away for a few days and that will be the last thing we do before leaving the house.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to the country. You have added years to your life and will have better children. Below is one of our neighbors on a regular visit to our yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 09-12-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Hey Tyler, you're really getting serious about this moving to the country. Good for you.

A lot of variables involved in septic systems. As Dennis pointed out soil has a lot to do with it. In Wisconsin mound systems are required by law, at least in my neck of the woods. The size is determined by the # of bedrooms. It is also a law that the septic must be pumped every two years in our county and surrounding counties. Don't know if that's statewide or not.

Pumping is pretty reasonable compared to a whole new system, which can run upwards of $10k, so I pump my tanks every year. My mound system is only about 5 years old and by keeping it pumped I'm hoping it'll outlive me.

You should check the county and/or township to find out about pumping and what is required for septic systems as I'm sure they have changed over the last several years.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

The real usable life of the septic system and drain field is a combination of proper maintenance, good design and the opinions of your local Health Department inspector. The latter (or local equivalent) is the authority when it comes to septic system condition and acceptability. And if the current system isn't right, you need to get it into the conditions of sale if you are buying so that the current owners have some skin in the game.

And even then you have to be careful...we just found out that the system installed brand new in 2000 was not designed for the flow that 5 bedrooms require (they base capacity on bedrooms, not bathrooms, around here). Therefore, we have an unexpected expense if we want to go forward with our home addition...that is already in the "ching...ching..." stratosphere...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tyler, septic in the country? Thats what the trees are for "sorry, I could not pass on this one"
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Tyler... I Google'd 'septic systems' , check this site, seems to be some good information.
    http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/buyguide.htm

Remember there are many variables in septic systems, most are based on location, soils, water table, how it was originally built, size ......... Also, local regulations vary, make sure you get info relative to your location. The local Building Dept or Health Dept should be able to give you some good information.

And don't be afraid of a septic tank, properly built they are really docile creatures.
    Tony

Tyler,
    Especially with a drain field that old in a county that has not required pumping of the septic tank every two years (if solids overflow the tank leech field life is shortened), I suggest you make your offer with the contingency that a perc test show the field to be up to current standards for your area.

The teaser shot of the shop/garage looks great, BTW! Congrats.

Frank

This is a subject I have some experience in!! First thing you need to know is how many bedrooms are in the house and how many gallons is the septic tank.

If the house has 4 bedrooms and the tank is 750 gallons, you need a whole new septic system. When I bought my house, the prior owner saiid they put in a new sand filter septic system 10 years before. That was true, but the septic tank was only 750 gallons for a 4 bedroom house. The code requires a 1,500 tank for 4 bedrooms. Then there was the sand filter itself. What a joke that was. When the contractor dug it up to put the new system in, we found out the "sand filter" , was no bigger than a half sheet of plywood!! 4 feet by 4 feet!! $8,000 for a new septic system.

I suggest you make your offer with the contingency that a perc test show the field to be up to current standards for your area.
    But make sure that they don't pump the septic tank out prior to doing the perc test. That would give the perc test a passing grade when in fact the system may not be working.

Septic field systems start to fail the moment they are put into use! A well maintained system has a life span of between 15 and 25 years. The soils in your particular area, along with leaky toilets, drippy faucet and excessive laundry loads on the same day, are going to be the determining factor.

Do not, DO NOT!!! use septic additives. These can over stimulate (at my age I could use some over stimulation every once in a while) the process in the tank and cause more, rather than less, material escape. Have the system inspected making sure to include an interior evaluation of the baffles.

I think the word that everybody is using, perc test, should be changed to "stress test". You want to test the existing system, this is done with a stress test. A perc test is done in preperation to install a new system.

Just remember we pumpers like money just as well as the next guy. We installers/manufactures like it even more. In this part of our state a system usually cost $20-25K for a 4 bedroom house. Suprisingly a new obsorption system can cost the same.

Good luck Tyler
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thank you all folks so very much for your input. Lots to know but important for this transition to a new way of life.
    Jim I don't think I would have chosen your line of work but a valued one none the less.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/