Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The little jig that could..

The little jig that could..

Was asked on another thread about a detail that I made on the jewelry box. Rather than clutter up one thread, I figured I'd post about the jig it's self..

So.... this started out as an idea I had for a dresser to be built for LOML. I just wasnted to make some concave circles. Nothing short of a CNC machine though was the answer I got from most WW stores. I knew I could do it with my router if I made the right jig though, so I went to work on my little lathe/ mill combo machine.

As the jig progressed, I made a few adjustments and added in a few more features. This is the final piece that I use here in the shop from time to time when the project calls for it.

Also... some simple "doodles" of what else it's capable of doing.

Simple answer..... the jig allows me to rotate the router on 2 axis like a gimble. Also able to lock it in position in either direction. The tracks alow for horizontal movement.

That is ingenious Mark... Did you did the machining on the aluminium?

How easy/difficult is it to set up for any given task?

That is a real neat tool/jig. Have you patent'd it as yet?? I would in a heart beat.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Very Nice Mark!!! I've followed some of your posts over on woodnet durning your development of the jig. The lastest pictures show that you have added alot of refinement, and some creative new ways to use the jig. I remember at one point you where looking at selling it on a limited bases, but the cost of production on small runs of the jig was the high. Has anything changed? Are you still thinking about limited production runs of your jig?

Thanks for sharing your creative jig & ideas, jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Very ingenious. What is the purpose of the square aluminium bar going up vertically on the left of the photo, is this a locking mechanism? At 1st I thought it was attached to the rod going through, but that would only give one axis of movement (plus the track to provide "z").

You're right Dave... The vertical (lacking complete motivation for design) bar is there simply to provide a locking point for the outter ring. The allen screw there threads into the ring to hold it at 90*. That allows me to swing the router in one direction only. I can then rotate the entire upper structure within the UHMW base and slide it along the tracks if need be..

I still haven't played with this thing enough to know what all I could do with it.. It's fun to have around though.

For some of the other questions.... Yes, I machined the aluminum pieces and the UHMW. Probably took me 5 times as long as a machine shop would have and I'm sure I wasted way too much material, but I bought the aluminum at the scrap yard and didn't spend any money milling it, so I figured, what the heck..

It's actually really easy to set up. no differnet than setting up any other router with a bit. After that, just clamp the jig into position and go to town.. Loosen one setting or lock another and you get different patterns.. Handling is easy even one handed. It's very stable at can't flip completely over so there's no real risk of throwing it into your arm..

No money or time for a patent.... I've been using this for about 3 years now and have decided to just keep it for myself..

Cool stuff, Mark! Necessity is the mother of invention!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mark, that is a really cool jig! If you decide to go into the business, let me know. I'll be your first customer. I'm afraid machining at your level is out of my league.

Hank

Mark - that's one of the coolest jigs I've run across yet and would be pretty tempted to buy one if the price was reasonable. Dont have the talent or machinery to make one of those myself. If you dont have plans to market them, why dont you try contacting a tool maker to see if you can sell the idea to them. I would think something like this might be right up MicroFence's alley, or maybe Woodhaven.
    Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 09-13-2006 at 7:24 AM.
    Use the fence Luke

mark, that`s a cool lookin` jig/fixture i suppose you know that since you`ve posted pics there will soon be tai/chi offerings of your invention with no royaltys proffered? nice job! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

So Mark, did you make a really big one also, those patterns look awfully close to crop circles :-)

Excellent jig.

Ok I can sort of understand how you did the crop circles.
    Simply advancing it up the track and swing the router back and forth
    I'm assuming to get the shape of the circle you have to keep changing the depth?

The last pic, I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around how you di that one.

I want pics of this beast in action. This has got to be one of the coolest little jigs yet.

Outstanding once again....and I want one.!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mark, I have to agree with the others. That is a way cool jig.

Mark, if you do some drawings of the machine, have a notary public date and seal it along with pics of it you may be able to keep it as ownership so it cant be copied or claimed by any one else. That looks like a great idea and would be a shame to loose rights to it.

You seem like a humble man, I can understand why you would simply keep it to yourself but its a great idea, you do us great service by sharing. Thanks

It is truely ingeniouse. My hats off to you.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.