Thread: Atlas 912 bandsaw, my first gloat!!

Talking Atlas 912 bandsaw, my first gloat!!

Greetings;
    WooHoo my first gloat, actually the first posted gloat. Anyway, I am now the proud 2nd owner of a 1950s Atlas 12inch bandsaw along with a dozen or so 82 inch 1/8 to 1/2 blades for wood and metal. Heavy cast iron, 6 inch capacity, 4 speeds, on a steel cart w/ casters and worklight. I'm very happy, as it will serve my needs nicely. Oh, the gloat part: $30, the guy wanted 25!!! It needs tires (12 x 1) and the 1/3hp motor needs a desawdusting, but it runs quietly...I already have a 3/4 hp motor that may find it's way onto this eventually. This saw sold for $105 in the 50s, w/o the cart, slowspeed arbor, or worklight.
    atlas912sn2.JPG
    Thanks for allowing a guy to celebrate,
    W. Marc Schmitz

Marc,
    Welcome to The Creek! Very nice haul - there's no iron like old, heavy, well kept iron!
    Maurice

nice score! welcome marc.
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

What the others said, welcome.

Nice gloat! Looks to be in good condition too. You'll spend many an enjoyable hour watching those blades cut wood. Congrats and Welcome to the Creek.

Brad

Thanks, I guess since it's not a 20+ inch bandsaw I won't get a "you suck" .
    I'd love to have a monster saw, but this one will do me fine, and the price was definately right. I was watching 2 bandsaws on Ebay, when I stumbled across this one on the local Pennysavers web page. I've purchased several items from the local Pennysaver paper, but this one I found on the website while searching all of Maryland. It was 25 miles from home, much closer than the 285 amp arc welder I bought off Ebay in Pennsylvania, but farther away than the walker turner drill press I found in the Pennysaver just 3 miles from home. I also have a small dremel scrollsaw I bought for $15. Second hand tools are great for things I'd "like" to have but can't justify spending lots for. I do have a new router and compound miter saw, both Hitachis. Anyway, tools rule.
    W. Marc Schmitz

Congrats, and let me be the first to say YOU SUCK

Nice score Marc!

Looks like Maryland is a good place to find them

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Atlas

Brian

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!

(edit) WOW, That was my 1,000th post. Do i get a prize????
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 09-14-2006 at 4:55 PM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Thanks Brian, my saw is not as pretty as yours, wow! I already ordered tires and they should arrive tomorrow. Woodcraft wanted 24 bucks each! I bought 2 for $27 from McFeelys. This weekend I'm going to clean & tune her up. She's a petite yet sturdy girl alright! I bought her not far from you in, ah, shoot- can't remember town but next to White Marsh Mall.

I think your right Bryan.

I am gonna be up in Maryland weekend after next for my brothers wedding, I wish I could run into a deal like that one while I was there.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Julio, Make sure you bring some sunshine up with you, we sure could use it.

Marc, if i can offer any advice, please ask. If those tires are the orange poly tires, you're in for a fun time getting them on; they don't stretch too well. I wound up heating them in some boiling water and that made them a bit easier to get on but it still took both of us to do it.

I also changed out the tensioning spring to an Iturra (sp?) i ordered from Highland Woodworking. IIRC i also got the tires and cool blocks from them.

Was Perry Hall where you got it?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Brian, it was Perry Hall, maybe 2 miles off of 95 across the main drag from White Marsh. The first thing I said to the retired gentleman upon meeting him was, "Got anything else for sale???"
    Anyway, I will definately ask if I have any questions, thanks for the offer.
    Up to 1001 now eh?!?!?!
    Marc Schmitz

Marc. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. pleased to meet ya'.

Nice gloat on the bandsaw. It looks in very good condition. I won't say that "You Suck", 'cause it's a little bit rude for me. If you bought that Walker Turner Drill press 3 miles from your house though. I might have to say "You Suck". Man, those are nice drill presses.

Once again. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Blog Entries
    And the made in the USA heavy iron just keeps on workin' Congrats!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Man, you guys are killing me with all these old memories, I used to live in Perry Hall right off of Bel Air road near White Marsh.

As far as sunshine goes I would if I could.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.