Thread: Jointer Bearings Leak Oil (?)

Rob Will Guest

Jointer Bearings Leak Oil (?)

In a previous post we breifly talked about the bearings on a 24" American jointer that leak oil (attached photo).

If you add any oil to the bearings, particularly the outboard bearing, the oil simply runs out in the floor.

Is there a way to service or replace the seals on these bearings?

Is the seal made from some sort of packing material?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't recall the prior thread. Perhaps you need to use a higher viscosity oil??

Rob,

The babbitt bearings used "wicks" to keep the oil from running out, I'm told. I have a Crescent 8" Jointer which has babbitt bearings, but it's not running as it doesn't have a motor.

However, my understanding is that wool was used to create the wicks, which would keep the bearings oiled at the proper amount during usage.

My jointer doesn't have wicks in it, and I'm not sure if I need to add them or not.

There was talk of this recentely and one of the guys over on owwm.org had some wool that folks were using.

Are the babbitt bearings in good shape? Mine don't look too bad. You can repour new ones if not.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 09-16-2006 at 1:26 PM.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    Are the babbitt bearings in good shape? Mine don't look too bad. You can repour new ones if not.
    I think this machine has some sort of ball bearing but I have not been into it yet.

Rob

Rob,

Once you get the cover off, post the bearing part number, if there is no part number, get a set of calipers and measure the shaft, housing bore and width of the bearing and I will Identify the bearing for you. Either way, the only way to go is to use pemanently lubricated (grease) and sealed ball bearings.....

You'll probably find people on the Old Woodworking Machines Forum (www.owwm.org) who know this machine.

Pete

Wondering if its the bearing or the end cap that sealing?
    Most bearing suppliers can provide a sealed bearing, and if its the end cap, most automotive stores have gasket material.

I'm thinking the easiest way is to pull the end cap and look.

Al

That doesn't look like babbit bearing cap to me. Regardless your going to have to open it up and see what is in there before you can really decide on a course of action.

I have found that a good (not auto zone, carport or the other WalMarts of Auto care) can find bearings and seals most times. Of course the best source is an industrial bearing supply company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    If you add any oil to the bearings, particularly the outboard bearing, the oil simply runs out in the floor.

Is there a way to service or replace the seals on these bearings?

Is the seal made from some sort of packing material?

Thanks,
    Rob
    If it's like mine, it's supposed to have an oil cup tapped below the level of the shaft. That way the cup keeps the level of the oil below the shaft which has questionable seals.

If the oil is actually leaking through the mating surface of the cap, a new seal would be in order--just regular gasket material.

Rob Will Guest
    Thanks,
    I'll get the bearing specs asap. Harvest is underway around here and we may have some bad weather coming. It may be Monday but please check back.

Rob