Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wine shelf Update...........

1. Wine shelf Update...........

I got the other two done.....

Now all I have to do is put the strips on the front to cover the plywood edges,
    and make the pieces that will stop the bottles from rolling off the shelf.The
    vertical strips I did first, that went well, but the horizontal pieces made me
    come up with a jig to do them.I needed the pieces to be fat on one end and then thin on the other.

I jointed the board, and put it through he thickness planer (it was twice the
    length of the wood in the pic) cut the piece to length, and then sliced them up
    on Big Blue.Now I made up a jig to route them on the router table.

The jig holds them in a template and then I use a straight cut bit with a
    bearing on it to get the shape I want.

After routing.

That is what one looks like finished.

Here are two on the shelf fronts. You see the shelves are only 9.5 cm wide, so
    some of the fatter bottles would be hard to get in and out of the shelf, this
    way, I have a spot to take them in and out, but the bottles are also prevented
    from rolling out (think earthquakes).

Well that is 15 done, I need 120 more.............

The question is, how could I speed this up?

The sizing and cutting of the stock is fine, no big deal there, but can anyone tell me of a quicker way to do the shaping of these pieces?

I wish I had some good toggle clamps to do this, instead of the three small screws, but I don't have any, I had one, but I can't find the darn thing! :

Am I nuts, or does this system look like it is the way to go?

Cheers!

Stu, thats the approach I would take, my only suggestion is that they seem to be thin so you may be able stack route 2, maybe three at a time ????
    Tony

Looks like your router bit could handle 3-4 stacked and cut at a time.

Or I'd think about stacking 10-15 of them and cutting them out on the bandsaw/scrollsaw or some such.

Or for a different look, cut a straight angle instead of a curve and you could chop them out on the chop saw or tablesaw and knock'em out a lot faster.

...art

4. Stacking them would work, if I had some toggle clamps, but I don't, so I hold them in place with 3 short screws, these screw holes end up on the back side, so they cannot be seen, but if I had two or three deep, I'd have to screw through the top two, leaving holes. OK, I need to buy some toggle clamps!

Art, I do not have a scroll saw, or a BS that can cut curves, did you see the blade on Big Blue, my bandsaw in that pic.........? Not going to be cutting any small curves with that!

Thanks for the comments just the same!!

Cheers!

Stu...you know these guys as well as any. Somebody will come up with a great idea. A shot in the dark...do you have a piece of wood that is double the length of the strips? If so, setup the jig to route one long piece (2x the original or basically a mirror image of the strip you have), then cut the piece in half? It might save you a little time in setup. Hope that made sense.

Cool projects, as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Matt

6. Thanks Matt, and yeah, this is one of the places I steal........er......get most of my good ideas

Stu,
    You could try double-stick taping several pieces together. Don't know if it would save you time though if you have to clean tape off of each piece when finished.

How about trying to fasten the ends of your stack together somehow? It looks like they are not seen either so you might be able to do something there that will hold 3-4 together at once.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

What about resawing after routing the shape? Then run the cut pieces through the thickness sander to get rid of the bandsaw marks.

Blaine

Get two more router tables and two helpers with them...cut 2/3 time out

But serious Stu, they look great!
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Very nice work Stu. I'm curious if your employer gives you a discount on product since you make these nice shelves for him.

Stu could you rig your jig to utalizing a Vacuum set up to hold the pieces while routing them, this will free you from the screwing of each piece to the jig. I use vacuum jigs all the time on the router table and it really works great if you have a lot of pieces to do, or for work that you do very often. All you need to do is to install a gasket on the peremiter of the jig and add your vacuum port, and you are set to go. Just a suggestion
    Chuck

Stu,

You could make a piece of plywood to fit over the blanks and use a wedge or two to hold it down. It would work sort of like the toggle clamps. I'd also start by cutting away most of the waste with a bandsaw as Art suggested.

A picture is worth a 1000 words so they say.

You could make it to handle more blanks than I show and to make it double sided so you could load twice as many blanks.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-15-2006 at 5:46 PM.

If you have the confidence, you could bandsaw the profile into the board and then resaw. The amount of sanding may not be a time saver though.
    Matt

14. Matt, with the only band saw I have having a 63mm wide blade, corners are just not going to happen

Charlie, I don't have a vacuum pump of any kind, I want one for a vacuum chuck on the lathe, but with your fine idea, I might get one quicker for uses just like this!

Dave thanks for the pic, that might just work!!

Blaine, yep, thought of that, but I'm wondering if it would end up much faster or not?

Mark, I'd rather clamp than use the double sided tape, but the idea is a good one!

Julio, dude you are ALWAYS making more work for me

Cheers!

Stu, I got the vacuum chuck adapter for my DVR... it recommended using a shop vac. I couldn't believe it, so I hooked up my vacuum pump. Then one day I tried the shop vac, and it worked just as well. On the lathe, neither vacuum source is sufficient for a small piece, either source is plenty for a larger piece (given the uncertain seal and leakage around the bearings, the volume of the shop vac seemed to make up for the higher suction but lower volume of the vacuum pump).

So if I haven't discouraged you from getting a vacuum pump for the lathe, consider my trying to use it on my bench for sanding. I even put a hole in the bench so I could draw vacuum directly, and got a rubber thingie to provide the seal around the work. The idea was great for the first piece, ok for the second piece, and didn't hold the third piece. I traced the problem...the sawdust I was creating plugged the filter in my vacuum pump. I gave up trying the vacuum pump as a hold-down.

The router chips may be large enoug to not cause a problem, but I bet the router creates a bunch of fine dust too. Maybe a larger filter....