Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received my GO514x

Received my GO514x

Hello everyone,
    My bandsaw finally showed up today. I had it delivered to my warehouse because I have several docks and a forklift to unload it. I did a quick inspection to make sure everything is intact then loaded it in one of our delivery trucks with a lift gate and headed home. (I didn’t have to pay UPS $200 for lift gate service.) I brought 2 guys with me to help unload it. I ran into a little problem when I got home, the bandsaw was too tall for my garage door. We had to unbolt it from the pallet, which made it difficult to move because I can no longer use the pallet jack. Once we got it inside, I ran into another problem. How to get it on the mobile base? (Woodcraft mobile base, the kind you add your own plywood to. Works great for this saw) It took some muscle and a little bit of brain but we managed.
    I spent about 2 hrs on assembly and adjustments.
    Here are my observations in random order.

• Fit and finish on the main frame and wheel cover is excellent..
    • Very large table is perfectly flat and had a mirror finish, but severely rusted on one edge and one corner. The plastic bag that covers the table and contained the cosmoline was ripped at the same edge and corner. That explains the rust. I tried to clean it with WD-40 and steel wool, which made it somewhat smooth, but still very ugly.
    • Wheels are very heavy cast iron with a poor paint job, has some rust.
    • Tires are crowned and looks decent.
    • The trunion is stamped steel, way to wimpy to support the large heavy table. When you bump the table it wobbles a bit. It is the worst part of this saw, in my opinion.
    • The guides are large double bearings with curl knobs but require an Allen wrench to adjust, fairly easy to do. The thrust bearings however, are a little harder to adjust. The bearings need slight adjustments when the guide post is raised or lowered.
    • Blade changing is fairly easy thanks to the quick tension lever and the large hand wheel. Tracking the blade is also very easy. The tension lever operates very smooth. The hand wheels could be better, they’re plastic.
    • The motor is 220v 3hp, plenty of power with some to spare. It runs almost as quiet as my 12” Jet, with very little vibration. It cuts through an 11” log with ease. I haven’t try re-sawing yet, waiting for my Timber Wolf blades.
    • The pulley is rusted pretty badly. It transfers a lot of it onto the v-belt. I think the pulley either needs to be replaced or taken out for a good cleaning.
    • Just about all the screws on this machine have some degree of rust on it. I know that sounds odd but I spent a fair amount of time with a can of WD-40 and a wire brush.
    • I almost forgot about the fence. Both the front and back rails is thin gauge aluminum. The fence itself is very hefty cast iron. (???) It comes with a decent re-saw fence that you can attach to the cast iron fence. The fence doesn’t slide very smoothly along the rails but silicon spray helps. It locks down pretty solid, but watch out for the thumb crushing lever when you release it. (I’m still hurting!) The locking lever is too short. I have mixed feelings about this fence, but overall it’s very useable.
    Overall, this saw is not the greatest but it’s not bad at all for the money. My 2 main complaints are the amount of rust I found and the wimpy stamped trunion. I wonder if anyone else has similar problems with rust on their Grizzly equipment. I will contact Grizzly tomorrow about the table and pulley. I’ll also post some pictures tomorrow.

Liem
    Last edited by Liem Tran; 09-13-2006 at 4:58 AM.

Having several pieces of Grizzly equipment, I can say I have never experienced the rust problems you encountered. However, you reminded me of some problems I had with a PSI lathe chuck. To make a long story short, I sent back four before the fifth was acceptable. Two of the four came to me with serious rust problems but were heavily coated with rust preventative OVER the rust. It makes me wonder if conditions in China/Tiawan/etc. are very humid and prone to rust. Also, if training is lacking and the people doing the final assembly/packing work just do not understand why rust preventative is important.

I just got off the phone with Grizzly. Their customer service rep. was very polite and helpful. The table and the pulleys will be taken care of soon. That's what I call excellent customer service! This is my first Grizzly tool and it probably won't be my last.

I forgot to mention the dust collection is excellent on this model. It has two 4" ports but I used only one and it still manage to collect almost all of the dust.

Frank you are very patient, I would've given up after the second chuck.

Liem

Liem, congrats of the new bandsaw. I'm sure it will serve you well and you'll be very happy with it after you get the bugs worked out. It's a little confusing, however, to hear that heavy items like the cast iron fence and the cast iron table are supported by less substantial material. I'm a Grizzly fan but that just sounds silly. If the table moves by bumping it, I'd be concerned about the table moving while cutting, especially heavier material.

One thing that concerned me though.....did you MEAN to say "silicone" when you described the sliding of your fence? If so, may I suggest that you use another product/chemical to get your fence to slide easy. Silicone is VERY bad news in a shop where you will be making/working on something that will have a finish on it. Finishing products and silicone are mortal enimies. Actually, silicone is always the bad guy and the finishing products are always the losing victim. Just a suggestion.

Congrats again.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Liem Tran
    I just got off the phone with Grizzly. Their customer service rep. was very polite and helpful. The table and the pulleys will be taken care of soon. That's what I call excellent customer service! This is my first Grizzly tool and it probably won't be my last.

I forgot to mention the dust collection is excellent on this model. It has two 4" ports but I used only one and it still manage to collect almost all of the dust.

Frank you are very patient, I would've given up after the second chuck.

Liem
    Liem, the compliment about my patience is really underserved. I'm not a patient sort. But the folks at PSI were very determined that I receive a good chuck and practically begged me to keep exchanging until I got a good one. This was a lesson for them also as they definately gave [explitive deleted] feedback to the factory in China. It is my understanding that the quality control on their new line of chucks is far superior to what I experienced a couple years ago. I'm a Grizzly fan but, at the same time, believe that most of the suppliers know that to remain competitive they must treat us right. The service from Grizzly that I have experienced has always been top notch. Even the few instances where exchange or repair were necessary it was done with a smile. I enjoy visiting the store in Springfield, Missouri. I have a standard routine when I go in. Invariably an enthusiastic salesman will approach me asking if he can help. I always reply: "Yes, I'll take one of each." They give me a smile, I try to give one back.

saw ????

Liem, I have been keeping a eye on this saw for a wile now (all reviews I could find) and I appreciate your honest review of the saw, the question I have is if you had the chance to do it again would you by this saw again? ……
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras
    Liem, I have been keeping a eye on this saw for a wile now (all reviews I could find) and I appreciate your honest review of the saw, the question I have is if you had the chance to do it again would you by this saw again? ……
    Richard, that is a tough question to answer at this point because I just got the saw yesterday. If this saw was design with cast iron trunion and didn't have any rust when I recieved it, the answer would definately be yes. Unfortunately, the trunion isn't cast iron and it did have lots of rust. Before I answer your question, I think I should spend some more time with it to give Grizzly a fair chance.

Liem

Pics

Here are some pics of the saw.

Liem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.0 KB, 108 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.6 KB, 135 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (36.8 KB, 147 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (34.4 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (77.7 KB, 133 views)

more pics

more pictures
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (31.7 KB, 80 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (76.6 KB, 124 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (73.6 KB, 105 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (61.5 KB, 82 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (78.5 KB, 82 views)

and more

five more pics and three more after this.

last three

here are the last 3

12. Quote Originally Posted by Liem Tran
    Here are some pics of the saw.

Liem
    Liem - that rust is unacceptable. Continue working with our customer service dept. and we will replace whatever parts need replacing. If you run into a stumbling block, be sure and let me know.
    Sorry about the inconvenience.

Liem, you are a better man than me, I would have called and asked call tag and possibly a refund. No way should that have left Grizzly like that.

hi liem

excellent review of the machine. very refreshing to see such an objective view of a purchased machine. Thanks so much. best wishes with your saw.

lou

Liam,
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully Grizzly with take care of that promptly. I recently made a bandsaw purchase also, I chose to go with the General version of this saw. The reason was that I didn't want any suprises, I wanted to see it before I took it home. On a side note I think you will love the saw, mine has been an absolute treat to use. Good luck

Nate