Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chain saw question

chain saw question

I've got several smaller trees to cut down and am looking at a new gas chain saw. I have used an electric with 14 inch bar in the past; finally the smoke escaped from the motor. From my research, it appears that Huskies and Stihls are the most preferred. I talked to a Stihl dealer today and he suggested model MS250. I can buy the saw with either a 16 inch or 18 inch bar ($10 more). The 16 will be plenty big for what I'm doing now. No, I don't have any visions of cutting down trees for a living. I think the 16 will be easier to manage, but I'm also wondering if down the road I'll regret not getting the 18. Can anyone with experience give me any thoughts here? Also, the dealer said that I would most likely be more satisfied if I bought the upgraded model that has the Easystart system, and the Quickchain adjuster ($40 more). Thanks, Jim

I have 16" bar, easy start and fastchain adjuster. Good saw. I don't miss longer bar. Easy start is nice. My saw is two years old now and still going strong.

For a $10.00 up charge, I would go with the 18" bar. You won't notice a weight difference.
    I run Jonsered saws.
    22 and 24" bars. Very handy.
    Yes, heavier. More teeth to sharpen.
    But less bending over.

Echo, stihl, huskie. And persoanly I'm not impressed with the huskies.
    Cousin has one, keeps it in his heated basement,mine is in an unheated storage building. We go to the woods, he's still pulling the rope and I'm on the second cut before he gets his huskie to stay running. I'll keep keep my echos.

As for bars, my 500 has a 16, my 750 has a 24 and the .075 has a 32
    The 500 gets used the most, the .075 gets used the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    But less bending over.
    I'm 6'0", and a 20" bar will eventually cause some back discomfort (it takes several hours), but not near as much as a 16" or 18" bar will--those don't take very long at all. I wouldn't hesitate to even use a 24" (don't have one, but I have an as-yet-untested 32" bar), as weight becomes less of a factor when you can hold it in a MUCH more comfortable position.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Yes'sir-ree........I've researched this and read up on chainsaws for a long time before I made the jump. I have gone through 1 homelite, 2 Poulan's, and a hatchet and I settled on a Stihl and I'm more than extremely happy with my choice.

Go with the 18" bar. The only immediately noticed difference will be a few more teeth to sharpen. The MS250 is a good saw. Get it with the quick chain adjuster and East-2 Start. It's the MS 250 C-BE is the exact model number as per the Stihl catalog. Also, make sure you use a Bar/Chain oil that has the anti-sling additive in it. Stihl markets their brand and works much better than the BB store brand of Bar/Chain oil (looks and feels a lot like 30 weight motor oil to me). The Bar/Chain oil IS the life of the Bar & Chain. I learned this lesson the hard way by costing me more money in replacement bars and chains.

I have never met a person yet that has opted for a Stihl saw and regretted their decision.

Happy MS 361 owner here.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jim: This question comes up all of the time and the responses are always the same. Buy the "Ferrari".....you will be able to get the kids to school much faster!! There is no doubt that the Stihl MS250 is a wonderful saw; but at over $400 it may be more saw than you really need. If you have a lot in town and intend to cut down 3 or 4 6" trees and then never use the thing again except for light prunning, a 14" Poulan or McCulloch will suit you just fine for about $125. On the other hand, if you have a few acres in the country and tree cutting of larger(12"+) trees is going to be an ongoing activity, definitely go for the Stihl or a comparable saw. I have had a 14" McCulloch for about 5 years now and it is still going strong and has met all of my needs except once. Had a 30" red oak in my front yard that needed to come down and the Little Mac was not up to the job so I borrowed a work saw from my neighbor ......Stihl 250(16").....predecessor to the MS250. The difference was night and day; but at 3x the price one would have expected nothing less.

Take a good hard look at exactly how much use you will be giving the saw and decide accordingly. doesn't do much good to have a Ferrari parked in the garage if you never use it or only drive it to the grocery store??

As to the bar length, unless you are running a saw for more that 4 hours 5 days a week, I don't think it really makes a big deal of difference for most folks. If you have big trees buy a lonl bar, if you have small trees, buy a short bar.

Echo fan here, happy with the quality, and they're one of the easiest ones to get parts for if you need them.

I upgraded to an 18" bar when I bought my .029 Farm Boss and honestly, there are times when I wish it was a 20"-er. I'd go for the extra two inches, especially since the price differential is so little.

Oh, and I did buy a less expensive saw when I moved to this property. It lasted for two trees and was a bugger to start. Had I invested in the better tool the first time around, my total outlay would have been much, much less.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If all you need to cut is some small trees on a rare basis, why not go back with the electric chain saw? I've had a Milwaukee electric with 16" bar for a lot of years already and would recommend it for whatever you're doing where an extension cord will reach.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

I have a Poulan "wild thing" with an 18" bar and I have used the hound out of it. I originally bought it to cut up a downed tree from a storm. It was a huge pine. It started easily, ran great, that was 6 years ago and it still runs just as good as new. I originally bought it because of price thinking that it would be a one use deal. I normally used my Brother's stihl but I couldn't get hold of him so I thought I need one for my use.

I've used both and the poulan gets my nod.

It's a good saw

I have the Stihl that you're looking at, and it's a great saw. I have 6 acres with quite a few trees, and the 16" bar has worked fine for me, but I'm sure the 18" model would be fine as well. With the longer bar there's the extra two inches to worry about keeping away from dirt, barbed wire, rocks, and personal parts. My inlaws have much larger saws and they really like the power:weight ratio of the Stihl 250.

I don't have the ez adjust or the ez start features, and I don't regret it. Stihls start well if you remember that to take the choke off the first sign of a cough when firing it up.

Worked in the big timber country of the NW- Go Husky or Stihl. Have a small place in the edge of town- I still run a Stihl w/ 18" bar and Echo w/ 14" bar. Both work fine but Echo is cheaper to buy and you get what you pay for. Use just once in a while, go Echo or some other BB brand- Get serious, go Stihl or Husky. Number of teeth on a chain doesn't matter as each tooth cuts a certain amount so if you don't hit a rock or "Ground" it, you will get a proportionate amount of cutting to the bar length before sharpening. The one thing you REALY need to do is never store your saw for any length of time with fuel in the tank or you will be taking it to the shop for a clean out. There are fuel conditioners out there that will help but the best is to run them dry before storing.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick
    Use just once in a while, go Echo or some other BB brand- Get serious, go Stihl or Husky.
    Dick
    One thing about echo, There isn't a Big Box line. Unlike any of the others. Echo makes one line and doesn't realy on their name to sell their the BB lines.

I'll put echo up against stihl or husky any day of the week.
    My brother has a whole collection of echos that have cut all of his firewood for the last 13 or 14 years. He has a750evl that he bought new 8 or 9 years ago and its never had anything go wrong with it and it gets some serious abuse. I don't get my 750EVL out very often but when I do its running on the third pul. Same as my 500VL. My stihl .075, 8 or 9 pulls even if has just sat overnight.

His CS440 gets used a lot too and its never been in the shop.either.
    And my brother is not easy on things. IF you want to know if a tool will last give it to him. If he can't break it no one can

Did I hear an Echo in here

My jonsereds were bought new in 1983
    Still running strong
    I don't use them like to used too now.
    I'll probably never have to replace them.