Thread: Box Elder Turnings

Box Elder Turnings

Here are a couple of Bowls I turned from the Box Elder I cut down at my Folks Place last Saturday. The wood has been standing dead for over a year, and I was amazed at the moisture still in the wood when I turned it. I only turned a small blank I had cut out, one with the least amount of streaking, I want to wait for the rest to dry so I can minimize the distortion while drying. I also experimented with drying these in the Microwave, and it worked pretty well. The bowl with the thicker walls dried very well, and it did not move at all. The thinner bowl did have some movement, but no cracking and I think the distortion of the thinner bowl kind of adds something to it..........anyway, I like it. I kind of read what I could about Microwave drying and then incorporated what made sense to me, and although a long process, I think the results were good............I think there are a few things I would do different next time that may reduce or eliminate the movement. Box Elder is a treat to turn, and I can't wait until it dries enough to go after some of the heavily streaked pieces. Thanks for taking a look!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So Kevin, When the heck do you have time to go to work?

Both look great and I personally like warped bowls....looks more like art that way
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Bill, thanks for the kind words. I also like the "Artsy" look to slightly warped bowls..........something different for a change. Believe it or not, I DO have a regular job.............I am just one of those that cannot sit still for a minute...................my Grandma always said I had "Spunk"! I just try to spend a little time in the shop everyday.........whether cleaning, reading, or whatever. These 2 bowls were turned in about 2 hours.............then an entire evening spent doing the Microwave Drying process. That is the hard part, because you have to be patient doing that, and patience is NOT my strong suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    These 2 bowls were turned in about 2 hours.............then an entire evening spent doing the Microwave Drying process. That is the hard part, because you have to be patient doing that, and patience is NOT my strong suit!
    Kevin,
    Has it been that long since you've done any flat work that you can't remember the glue drying process, the patience thing will come back to you someday.

I really like your bowls, as box elder is a favorite of mine in turned work.

Now for a newbie turner question, how do you hollow out your bowls, vases, and such?

Thanks and good work (as usual), Doug

Doug, I get around the patience thing when doing flat work by working on several things at once, all in different stages. I normally use my Bowl Gouge for hollowing. I also have a 1/4" Spindle Gouge that I reground the profile on, and I have used that on occasion on some smaller work. With a little imagination and caution, there are several ways to hollow things. PM me, I think I have something that will help you.

Thumbs up looks great

Your bowls look great! Can't wait to see some with the heavy streaking in them. I need to experment some more with green wood myself. I haven't been turning lately been trying to finish up other projects before carpel tunnel surgery the 23 put me out of commision for a while. Keep up the good work.
    Sparky Paessler

Kevin,

I like the bowls, especially the thicker one. It would make a great cereal bowl! I wouldn't mind seeing it every morning. Sure would make going to work easier some days, remembering work = Tools to be able to enjoy this hobby.

Nice job!

Joe

You gotta cut those box elder trees down to keep the bugs from taking over. Love the color in box elder. What are the dimensions in your bowls, looking forward to seeing more of them.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    You gotta cut those box elder trees down to keep the bugs from taking over. Love the color in box elder. What are the dimensions in your bowls, looking forward to seeing more of them.
    This is your basic "chicken and egg" problem...the bugs are bad, but they are also the source of that nice red staining...

Kevin...nice work, as usual!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...