Thread: First lathe

First lathe

Been looking around for a "midi" lathe for my very own. Has been over 25 years since I played with one and have decided that it's time to purchase.
    I pretty much (at this time) have no desire for a full size as the shop is pretty full and I prefer to work on smaller projects.
    So what should I be looking for? Brand, model, accessories etc?
    Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I would stick with the Jet or General mini's. Well made and good service if you need it.

The Jet would be my first choice, our turning club has the General mini and I had it in my shop for a few months--there are some design issues but overall it's a very well built lathe so either one will be a good choice. I'm just being wishy-washy

manuy have the Jet's, I looked at the Jet and the Genearl. I bought the Rikon. It's a real work horse.

I had a Jet mini for about two years. Beat the livin' **** out of it and it it never failed! Traded it for a Rikon. 12" swing vs 10" on the Jet. 16" length instead of 14". Basically heavier duty. Have had it since December, 2005. No major concerns with it.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Just depends on what you want to spend Mike. If your wanting to do small bowls, boxes and stuff besides pens than go with one of the 1/2 model. Of course Jet is considered to be one of the best and the VS model is one of the best models out there. Price tag can be anywhere from $329. to $379. They sell a non VS version for about 279.- 289. Many other nice ones out there as well like the Rikon. The Delta Midi is a nice lathe as well but doesn't have the 12inch swing the Rikon does. Another nice lathe is the Fische lathe that sells for around 289. I have PSI's Turncrafter Pro which now sells for 179.00 and it is a Jet clone. They have a neat VS version for around 279. which is a nice price. Anyway, lots of them out there!

Corey