Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving via moving company--shop questions

Moving via moving company--shop questions

I am moving in the next 4 weeks adn our move is paid for by the job my wife is getting. I will have my tools moved adn i was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I am not too concerned with them breaking anythign based on prior moves..however this is my first time moving with a workshop.(horror stories..appreciated..if you include the moving company name in a PM so I can stay clear of them)

I have the orginal packing boxes for my bandsaw and for some other tools. Would it be better to diassemble everything and pack them in the orginal boxes or let the movers pack them. This move is happening quick so I am very short on time.

Shop has:
    drill press, 14 in bandsaw, lathe(midi sized), planer, 6in jointer, table saw(craftsman..hoping it breaks), other typical hand/powered hand tools.

For the curious among you: My wife got a new job in Baton Rouge and I am going back to grad school at LSU for my PhD in Wetland ecology/restoration.

(I hope this can stay here but if it moves to OT...I think I understand why.)

Rob,
    I just moved from California to Arizona. I moved the shop to save $$ but also cause I didn't want stangers moving my tools, Band saw, TS, CMS,lathe etc, etc. That said the movers did a great job of moving everything and putting it in place. No damage at all. We used Allied and I'd use em again. If I had a longer move and if it was company paid I think I'd let them pack the stuff, they realy know what they are doing.

Let them pack it. Most movers will not insure anything packed by you and moved by them !

I used some plastic packing wrap. They sell it in various widths but I found it and zip lock bags to be very beneficial.

I broke each tool down and any nuts, bolts or small parts were placed in zip lock bags and the bag was then wrapped to the unit with the plastic wrap. I never had to look for parts they were held together.

The plastic wrap also can be used to tie lots of things together, like four bessey clamps can become one solid unit. and easier to carry.

Protect cast iron from sweat. Moving men sweat like crazy and I had hand prints that rusted my drill press column and drops of sweat on my tablesaw table. I'd proctect them with something and then cover them with plastic.

Good luck on the move.

I've moved with Allied, United,Greyhound and myself. I've never broken down any equipment or treated it with anything. I have never had any damage to shop equipment. Equiipment moved included BS, (18") TS, Jointer, DP, RAS, Drum Sander, Disk Sander, Lathe, Spindle Sander, Tool Boxes, Bench, etc. Dick B. OOps I did take the extension table off the Table Saw.
    Last edited by Dick Bringhurst; 09-21-2006 at 2:09 PM.

Hi Bob,

Have you made any inquiries locally about companies that do crating? You might be able to have your larger machines professionally crated thus making them easier to pack in a van and it will also protect them from damage, moisture, etc.

Rennie
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Blog Entries
    It's been a while since I moved, but when we were in the military we moved fairly often. My experience was:

1. Make sure that the mover forman that is making out the manifest sees that every electronic device works and any tool with a motor actually runs, otherwise, they mark the manifest condition unknown and if it doesn't work on the other end of the move they aren't at fault. Also fine furniture will be marked as scracthed, dented and worn unless you insist that they are in better condition (They use code letters to denote condition, like: S, D, M, W) This applies to all scratches and dents even if bigger ones happen in transit.

2. Tools are highly pilferable. Make sure they are packed and accounted for on the manifest. Check with the mover about shipping high value items and sometimes a separate crew will pack the tools. I would also consider crates for the larger tools. Gravity sometimes fails in teh back of trucks and moving vans. If it can tip, it will. If it will break if it falls over, plan on it being sideways in the truck when you next see it.

3. You can pack your own things, but it will get listed on the manifest as packed by owner, contents unknown and if it turns up missing or damaged they won't pay you for the contents.

4. Boards and lumber can be packed and shipped if you call them shelving!.

5. When it comes time for loading the truck. Make absolutely sure that every single item that goes on the truck is listed on the manifest. Station a person full time (no exceptions) at the truck. Look for the log number on every item going into the truck. If it isn't logged don't let it on the truck as it may not be there on the other end. Loaders are sometimes temps picked up just for the day to load the truck.

6. Note any damage as each item comes off the truck right on the spot with the lead mover.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Moving

Rob:

I just moved from VA to NC. My employer paid for the move. What Chip and other said is correct...if you pack it they will not insure it. Generally employer paid moves do not see much pilferage. The moving company would risk losing a valuable client.

Since I was moving from a shop basement to a garage shop I took some pre-packing steps.

1. I did not disassemble any big tools, except I took the rails and extension table off my table saw. I sorted all my tools into boxes so that turning tools were together, table saw exccessories were together, drill bits and drill excessories were together, etc. This made unpack A LOT easier. I then let the movers transfer the boxes into their own boxes. But this way my tools were not mixed up and it was easier to track what went where.

2. Try to make sure your power tools run before they leave, so that you can make a claim as needed.

3. Good luck.

Doug

Even though our move in 1999 was more "short haul", the movers took care of my shop equipment. I did remove extraneous things from the major tools, but otherwise, they stayed on whatever mobility solution was appropriate for the tool. I did personally box the smaller stuff from the shop and CODED the boxes as to contents, rather then writing specifics on them for better security. Plastic wrap came in handy for cabinets, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Remember the insurance thing....

Movers pay ins. claims by the pound. Make SURE that you have adequate ins. coverage.
    Bill

Rob-
    I am a manager for a local moving company here in Nebraska. While we mostly deal with local moves we do complete a number of interstate moves each year. If you still have original boxes and packing material that is by far the safest way to go. That goes for computers and other electronics too. I suspect that we would have a difficult time at best trying to deny coverage on something in it's original box based on the fact that we didn't pack it. I also know that if a customer asked, we would be more than happy to pack some of their belongings in the original boxes for them. Either way, the chances of damaging something packed in its original Styrofoam packing and box is almost nil ( I used to work part time for UPS and have seen the way Gateway boxes are thrown around) so being covered or not covered shouldn't be too much of an issue either way.

If you have any questions about the liability a moving company has, feel free to PM me, it is all regulated (assuming you are moving across state lines) and should be the same from mover to mover. Keep in mind that you don't buy actual "insurance" from any moving company. You just pay to increase the limit of their liability. However, if you are using one of their "approved movers" you can buy actual insurance for your move from movinginsurance.com. We are one of their "approved movers" but I don't know that any of our customers have ever used them so I'm not actually recommending their service, just suggesting you check it out.

Jason

One more thing, someone mentioned making sure your movers are aware that everything works before your move. While that's not a bad idea, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference. Unless something arrives with signs of fairly significant physical abuse, you will have a difficult time proving that the movers caused an electric motor to stop working, or anything else along those lines.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    Movers pay ins. claims by the pound. Make SURE that you have adequate ins. coverage.
    Bill

Once again, it's not insurance, it's simply a limit on their liability. However, if a reputable mover feels that they are responsible for a damage that goes above and beyond that limit, they will probably make it right. I know we would.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

13. If you care about your stuff geta rider on your homeowners to cover the move. Trusting the mover's insurance is like hoping the nasty junkyard dog will share its dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    If you care about your stuff geta rider on your homeowners to cover the move. Trusting the mover's insurance is like hoping the nasty junkyard dog will share its dinner.
    That's actually another good option. Once again, movers don't offer insurance!

Moving

I just moved across country. Let the movers pack and move all of the tools (Band Saw, Table Planer, Drill Press..etc. ). I took the good stuff with me -- planers and chisels.

Everything came across fine except the compound Mitre Saw. They managed to break off the safety swicth so now I can't start it. I put it down the claim form but I don't know what they'll do about it, if anything.

Mike