Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justifying your hobby

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with Sam Maloof while walking from his house to his shop. He said that he retired 50 years ago. Now he does what he does because it is what he loves to do. I am aspiring to be in the same position as he is in. Sure he makes money doin g wood work but he does it besauce he loves to. The money he makes because someone wants to buy his works is just a bonus. You are a luckey person if you can make money doeing something that you love to do.

AMEN!!!!!!!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I know where Bart is coming from. It's a hobby for me. If I couldn't afford to get into the hobby then I wouldn't of. However, it is nice to sell some stuff along the way. When I can sell a pen or two, I can buy something I need for the shop or want.
    The only thing I would caution anyone is don't get too carried away. You can spend alot of money getting ready for a show and not have much to show for it after one. I prefer to just show my stuff where I can and let people see what I do and If I get an order or two then fine, if not.... no biggie. I always have pens or other items ready for a gift and I think it is fun to give a nice handmade item.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    I don't push woodworking, that is, create deadlines to have pieces finished or over-stress myself to complete a project. I work at my own snails pace and enjoy each step of the project.
    I'll agree to that. The only times I find myself aggravated in my shop is when I have a project that I HAVE to complete by a certain time. I much prefer the slow, meandering exploration of woodturning than the production duplicate pieces. However, I do accept the commissions every once in a while and charge accordingly so that the ends justify the means. Most groups of pens I've turned lately I've considered jobs which I guess means business.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Don said it best when you can make money while loving what you do. How much better can you have it.

I have sold pens, bowls, etc. but don't advertise it. I had a lady come in to have a clock repaired and she saw the walnut plates I made. She said she sure would like a set only in a lighter wood and she pointed at some curly maple & cherry I had. She wanted to know if I could make her a set with saucers. I told her yes and gave her a price. I told her the only stipulation was it may be 6 or 8 months before she got them. She said no problem. I have turned down several things because they wanted them tomorrow. I will not do things if there is a deadline especially if it has a lot of pieces or is a set of something. Don't need or want the stress. Got enough of that in my life and my full time job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

6. A good buddy of mine says....

"Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life!"

......it is true for him too, lucky sod!

How many pens/bowls etc. does a guy need? If you really enjoy making pens/bowls etc. you need to find something to do with them or they are going to start stacking up all over the place. You need to give them away or sell them. Why not make a little money to cover the cost of the hardware and some more to cover the cost of new/better equipment?
    Scott

Hi
    what scott said. How many does one person need. If you like doing wood working and its fun do it. I don't smoke, drink, or watch TV so my wood working is also my habit. I enjoy it and I do sell a few items once in a while but if I want to give it away I do that also. My accountant said its time to turn hobby into business for the tax advantage. Don't make any money all year but my paycheck comes with an IRS refund instead of paying.
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    How many pens/bowls etc. does a guy need? If you really enjoy making pens/bowls etc. you need to find something to do with them or they are going to start stacking up all over the place. You need to give them away or sell them. Why not make a little money to cover the cost of the hardware and some more to cover the cost of new/better equipment?
    Scott
    This is all fine and good, but you miss the point.
    If you feel the need to sell in order to help offset the hobby cost.
    Selling for the sake of selling is good, but the need to sell in order to maintain the hobby is not good.
    I'm not referring to people that have turned their wwing into a business.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 09-22-2006 at 1:46 PM.

Doug, I don't know of many hobbies that don't cost $$$$. I could have probably bought several Oneway 2436's with the money I spent racing motocross. All I have to show for that is a bunch of $3 plastic trophys, but I loved it. I don't know about the "need" to sell to offset the cost, but it sure is nice that turning "can" be a somewhat self-supporting hobby.

Travis and others have made me think of a old business mentor of mine who said 'If you want to get rich sell something to a man's (or womens) hobby. In business and at home we make rational decisions and shop for best price. For our hobbies we purchase on emotion and price doesn't matter.' I guess that explains $1000 golf clubs and $500 fishing poles. Thankfully all the tools and products sold to woodturners are value priced and outperform our every expectation.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Doug, I don't have any problem at all with someone who "needs to sell work to support the hobby". In fact, I think that shows some initiative since it may be the only way that individual can do something they truly enjoy under certain financial situations and they find a way to engage that works for them. Granted, there is also "room for abuse" if someone gets into what I'll term obsessive accumulation of stuff and has to become a frantic producer to pay for it all, but I don't think that applies to most folks I observe who sell work to help support their avocation. In fact, I think it's wonderful that this thing called woodworking actually provides the opportunity for so many to benefit financially if they choose to do so! Not many "hobbies" offer that outside of a very few, very skilled people.

While I have sold a very small number of pieces because someone really wanted to acquire them, I have not generally been interested in woodworking for money, whether turning or flat work. I do this for mental health. (yea, I need all I can get) The last "commission" I did was essentially "for free", although I was later blessed with a few interesting books from the receiver as well as a lot of very valuable stock I can use for future projects from the man who designed and "commissioned" the project. "Blessed" barely covers adequately the extent of my actual payment...in purple heart, mahogany, bocote and other species that now are in my rack...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-22-2006 at 4:33 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some real good and interesting answers and opinions. Thanks for your inputs.

I wouldn't call it a hobby, but then again I wouldn't call it a job either. Whether turning or flat work I do it because I like it. Yeah I have a bunch of stuff at the farmers market at my brothers stand. If it sells fine, if it doesn't fine. I used to do a few craft shows a year and may do it again. Then again I may not. Don't get me wrong I like to sell stuff. It's mad money for the shop and if I didn't sell some of it it would soon over run me.

I also agree to what Keith and Tony already said.
    I've been a woodworker for just over 30 years now (off and on) and in the past few years I decided to take on commission work to help support the hobby and help us fund getting materials for our own furniture. Then came the deadlines, pushy customers, design changes well into the project, and etc, etc, etc.....It very quickly became more of a pain that a fun hobby. Fortunately, Mark Cothren and the LOML combined have helped me keep my hobby as a hobby and it's a LOT more fun that way. Money isn't everything, but every once in a while, it does come in handy.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.