Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Drive Belt Questions

Broken Drive Belt Questions

Midway through roughing out a bowl this evening, the drive belt on my Craftsman lathe broke. Two questions:

Anyone know of a less expensive source for the replacement drive belt (not the bigger Reeves drive belt) than Sears? They want about $27.00 plus tax and shipping for a dinky little belt.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the belt back on once I get a new one? I can start randomly disassembling things until I get it done, but I'm hoping someone has been through the process and can give me some tips.

Thanks in advance.

Nope Vaughn. You can try Palmgren at 800-621-6145. It is Sears or Palmgren are the only two that carry them. Sorry.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I suspect that changing the belt will be a PIA. Fortunately, they don't break very often unless there is a problem with your Reeves drive.

You should be able to buy that belt at any good supplier as long as you know the size. An Internet search should provide you with many belt suppliers who can help you. I found one when I was looking for a replacement for my JET. Cost was about half of what Jet wanted.

I'll see if I still have the contact information. Randy

BTW, someone is sure to suggest using a link belt as a replacement. Don't!! The link belts will not last very long with a reeves drive.

Try these guys:

http://www.mibelting.com

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Will a linked belt work? Still the same money but smoother operation IMHO>
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    It will be more expensive than the $27 but after replacing my drive belt with the link belt I was really surprised at how much difference it made in the vibration. I think it's well worth it.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

I thought you couldn't use a link belt on a Reeves drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I looked into this possibility for my Grizzly with Reeves drive. Answer is NO. Link belts are not satisfactory for Reeves. I'm told, by someone who was in the business, that drive belts used for industrial air conditioners are the best and toughest there is. Not sure where to shop for them but I'll make a concerted effort to find out one day.

Vaughn you are talking about the small belt that drives the unit right off the motor aren't you? I haven't been able to find any that will even come close. I did find a number off the old belt I have and it says, "Gates 207-3M-20.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    .....BTW, someone is sure to suggest using a link belt as a replacement. Don't!! The link belts will not last very long with a reeves drive.
    I told ya so!!(I talked to the folks that make the link belts and they strongly discourage its use with a reeves drive.)

Go to the Gates web site and use the locator function to find a retailer close to you. If they don't stock that belt, surely they can order it for you.

www.gates.com

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I did a bit of checking into the MI Belting site and the Gates site, and long story short, I bit the bullet and ordered a new belt from Sears online. I'm sure I could save some money going directly to a Gates distributor, but they aren't open at the times when I'm able to go shopping. (Say...3:30 AM...I don't have much of either one, but currently I have more money than time.)

As has been mentioned, I don't think a link belt would work in this application. This is the small, toothed belt (like a timing belt) that connects the motor shaft to the Reeves drive. I'd guess the teeth in the belt need to match the teeth in the wheels it's sitting in, so I don't think a link belt could fit the bill.

Looks like it's still gonna take major mechanical surgery to get the new belt installed. I guess I'll find out when the belt gets here.

Thanks again.

Vaughn, I bought some for my 1442VSK from the manufacturer on the internet. Big mistake! The belts were about $4.00 ea and I had to pay $20.00 for shipping. I then found a hardware store that carries all types of machine belts and sure'nuff, they had the same belt at $5.00 ea. but it beats the shipping costs.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    Vaughn, I bought some for my 1442VSK from the manufacturer on the internet. Big mistake! The belts were about $4.00 ea and I had to pay $20.00 for shipping. I then found a hardware store that carries all types of machine belts and sure'nuff, they had the same belt at $5.00 ea. but it beats the shipping costs.
    In the case of the Sears Parts website, they are asking about $27 for the belt, with another $12 or so for shipping ($9.99 for a < 1 oz package) and tax.

Due to lack of time to shop locally, I went ahead and ordered one from Sears at their highway robbery price. Now that I have some leads on other sources, I plan to buy another as a spare, and hopefully pay a more reasonable price.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Belt Idea

did you ever think of trying find a belt at a small appliance repair store washing machines and dryers sweepers use all kind of dift size belts

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Question

What's a Reeves Drive
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/