Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple (yeah, right) candlesticks

Simple (yeah, right) candlesticks

I turned this set of candlesticks, in the Rude Osnolik style of the 50s and 60s, mainly because I just love the look. I happen to be a fan of the Danish Modern style. So I thought, this will be a snap. Maybe an hour for all 3, eh? Not so. The hardest part was getting the transition area from top to bottom consistent from one to the other. Never mind the diameter there. Actually, I STILL didn't quite make it, the one on the right is slightly more angular than the other two. These are drilled first top and bottom, same dia hole but deeper on the bottom. A metal insert from craft supplies lines the top. The bottom is filled with steel balls and epoxy to lower the center of gravity and make them less tippy. The shot is expensive and I am looking for another material for weight. So far, I've thought of using pennies, they're actually cheap, ounce for ounce.
    The pic is taken with my canon rebel xt using a "tent" made up of white foam core panels with 4 100 watt fixtures pointing up and away from the subject. Makes for very even lighting. Material is crushed velvet remnant from fabric store. Comments apreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice candlesticks, and nice photos, Gary. What size of shot are you using in the bases? Is it shotgun size, or bigger (like slingshot size)? It's been a long time since I bought any, but I'd think shotgun shot from a reloading supplier would be pretty inexpensive, but you'd need to buy it locally or the shipping would beat you up. Of course, finding a reloading shop in Burbank is about like finding knife shop...can't be done as far as I know. I don't claim to know Burbank all that well, but the only place I know to buy ammunition of any kind is the indoor shooting range on Victory across from Costco. (And I doubt they'd have any shotgun stuff.) Pennies would be pretty cost effective, though.

I think you are too fussy about the "angular" thing. They look great to me. I wish I had an eye for form on something like that. As for the shot, as said, a gunshop can sell you lead shot. But, I don't think you would need a lot of weight down there. How about plain sand?

Gary those are mighty fine looking candle holders. If you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have picked up the angular piece on the right. Nice form and finish. Great job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Gary, I like those.

corey

Those look great, Gary. Thanks for the explanation on the photo booth. The candlesticks look like they're not touching the velvet.
    Be Blessed

George

I did a couple sets of those when I first started turning. Drove me up the wall.

Yours are beutiful. I used lead shotgun shot. it was pretty cheap

Gary,
    The candle sticks look great. It is amazing how hard a simple form can be to make "look right".

Wes

Gary,

Those are very nice. What about getting lead shot for a shotgun and use that. Would that be any cheaper?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Gary, these are very nice and have the Osnolik feel without being exact copies. I've also always appreciated this form!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, guys. I used slingshot 3/8 shot because I had bought some awhile ago in a fit of rage over the damned squirrels who were eating up my garden. This was before I thought about all the really big windows there are here in my towhouse complex... I think sand sounded cheapest, might work quite well. I thought about the range over by costco, they don't carry shotgun supplies. Well, on to Christmas items, it's just around the corner! Again!

Comments as Requested

Gary,
    Agree that you missed it a bit, but still very pretty. Mine missed it too. It is amazing that some very subtle changes in shape can make so much difference in the visual impact of a piece.
    Would like to see more light at the bottom of the photos, so the bases of the pieces are visible.
    Consider lead fishing weights for extra weight. Little or big ones, cheap, readily available, easy to remelt into desired shape with a propane torch. Just do not inhale the fumes while melting them.
    Have an old .410 that only takes 2" shells (which I can't find anymore) that was good for squirrels at short range. Could shoot one and duck back into the house without arrousing the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Gary,

Those are very nice. What about getting lead shot for a shotgun and use that. Would that be any cheaper?
    Getting shotgun shot in Beautiful Downtown Burbank is no easy feat. Yer not from around here, are ya son?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison
    Gary,
    Have an old .410 that only takes 2" shells (which I can't find anymore) that was good for squirrels at short range. Could shoot one and duck back into the house without arrousing the neighbors.
    Something tells me that wouldn't be workable at Gary's townhouse. Yer really not from around here, are ya?

I've lived in this area (I work in Burbank) for about 15 years and have yet to run across a store that sells reloading supplies. There may well be one within driving distance, but I've never seen one. The last local "gun store" I went to only sold handguns. (It was in Glendale and it sure seemed like a front for the local Armenian Mafia.)

Now sand, that's another story. We got sand. With or without salt.
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 09-24-2006 at 3:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Getting shotgun shot in Beautiful Downtown Burbank is no easy feat. Yer not from around here, are ya son?

Something tells me that wouldn't be workable at Gary's townhouse. Yer really not from around here, are ya?

I've lived in this area (I work in Burbank) for about 15 years and have yet to run across a store that sells reloading supplies. There may well be one within driving distance, but I've never seen one. The last local "gun store" I went to only sold handguns. (It was in Glendale and it sure seemed like a front for the local Armenian Mafia.)

Now sand, that's another story. We got sand. With or without salt.
    We digress, but what the hey......
    For squirrel control in a populated area, I suggest a good quality air rifle. Quiet, accurate and effective.
    Another reason I don't live in California. I don't believe I have ever seen a gunshop, in any state, that doesn't carry reloading supplies. They are staples to the gun business.

Well, if you can't find reloading shot in CA, there are undoubtedly at least stores that cater to people who fish!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...