Thread: Bowl gouge sizes

Question Bowl gouge sizes

Will someone explain to me how a bowl gouge is sized. I went to the Woodcraft store a couple of days ago to buy a 3/8" bowl gouge. When I got it home I measured the dia of the shaft and it was 1/2", so I checked the gouge I got from Craft Supplies. It is maked 1/4" on the shaft but it measures 3/8" in dia. I checked my spindle gouges and they measure what their size is said to be. So what gives?

Greg

Some makers refer to the sizes based on the diameter of the tool and others refer to the distance from flute to flute. Then the reschleppers put their own twist on this, so it's no wonder you and I are confused.

However, I just read that there's a group within the AAW that has recently begun the task of working with all parties internationally to create standards for these elements. My guess is that they'll have it worked out by the time we have it figured out.
    Only the Blue Roads

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Some makers refer to the sizes based on the diameter of the tool and others refer to the distance from flute to flute. Then the reschleppers put their own twist on this, so it's no wonder you and I are confused.

However, I just read that there's a group within the AAW that has recently begun the task of working with all parties internationally to create standards for these elements. My guess is that they'll have it worked out by the time we have it figured out.
    International eh?

Well than I guess it will be in millimeters, as only the US and maybe Gabon still use the inches and feet thing

I've been confused by this before also, here's a quote from
    The Cutting Edge in Houston: " Bowl gouges are sized by two differnt systems. The English system uses the width of the flute while the American system uses the diamter of the bar. Thus, a 3/8" bowl gouge in the English system is a 1/2" gouge in the US system. In order to reduce confusion we now use the AMERICAN system.

Personally, I think the English system better represents the size of the tool.
    Experience is knowledge gained, right after you needed it.

You got it Mike - and the trouble is that your store's fix (which I've also encountered elsewhere) adds to the confusion since they'll refer to it as a 1/2" tool yet the packaging will often (but not always) say 3/8" - if it's an english made tool.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. Martin V
    Personally, I think the English system better represents the size of the tool.
    Doesn't matter. We won the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    International eh?

Well than I guess it will be in millimeters, as only the US and maybe Gabon still use the inches and feet thing
    If they insist on millimeters Stu, they won't be able to inch their way towards a solution!

Bill

Talking Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!