Thread: Interested in Turning - Looking for advice

Interested in Turning - Looking for advice

Greetings! I've long been interested in turning (particularly bowls) but I've never taken the plunge. However, I recently stumbled onto this site and it has peaked my interest yet again. I'm not one to go out and purchase a lathe without fully understanding what my equipment needs are or what I am getting into so I thought I would ask some of you veterans for some advice about where to start. First off, is there any recommended reading you could suggest I start with? My local B&N has a huge woodworking section but I am sure there are some books that are better than others. Also, what dimensions and hp should I be looking at for a lathe capable of turning larger bowls? I obviously won't be starting with any big projects but I would like the capacity to do larger pieces when my skill level increases. Are there any particular brands I should look for or stay away from? Any insight or advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

AB

Welcome Aron to SMC. I am fairly new to turning and I love it. I have a midi and don't turn bowls, just mostly spindle stuff, boxes, weedpots and pens but there are alot of bowl guys here to help you. Again welcome!

Corey

Hey Aaron. Welcome.

Best advice I can offer right now is to go the the AAW website and click through the Local Chapters section to find a club nearby to where ever you're located. (Where is that, by the way?)

Go to the monthly meeting, introduce yourself, and ask the same questions to the membership. You should be most surprised by the quality and quantity of assistance offered - including local mentoring; an immmersion into what's possible; and offers to turn on various machines.

That experience will get your feet wet with minimal investment and allow you to conduct your search for the right gear physically as opposed to digitally.

And with that said - you could save time and just go get a big ol' hunk of white iron!
    Only the Blue Roads

Welcome Aaron,

Andy said pretty much what you need to do except for the white iron, I think he is on commission, but you should really consider mustard colored iron.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Aaron...........Welcome to the Creek!

The inmates here pushed me into the Vortex back in late January or was it early February?..........Regardless.....A lathe showed up on my backdoor one day and my life will never be the same! My new shop is still not finished but it's close........I'm constantly broke now because there's always new tools, accessories or materials to buy............But......I've found a new love. My wife says she can't remember seeing me enjoy anything this much in the 38 years she's known me.

Books..........

"Woodturning - A Foundation Course"...by Keith Rowley.....excellent book well written and illustrated for the beginner.

"Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross.........Great book with lots of photographs.

Of the two, I like the Rowley book best but with the two of them you often can compare methods to determine how you want to do something. Having the two of them gives you more than one method or idea about how to accomplish something.

If you are seriously considering turning, I'd find the nearest Woodcraft store in you area and consider taking some turning lessons first.

I'd also consider some videos............our own BIll Grumbine has a couple videos out in DVD format. Turned Bowls Made Easy is a wonderful video. I learned most everything I know about bowl turning from it. (The nearest turning club or Woodcraft store is a good 2+ hours drive away in good weather).

Richard Raffan's videos....."Turning Wood" and "Turning boxes" are excellent as well.

Good luck as you consider jumping in the Vortex and becoming abysserated!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As Andy suggested, join a turning club. Look at other's lathes and get their input. What you want to turn will affect your decision (mini or biggie?). Budget will affect your decision. ($400.00 or $5000.00?). The AAW (yes, I'm dittoing others) is a great source. I do have to disagree with the videos and DVD's. Those professionals can be discouraging to watch. I'm serious. Many (maybe most) use green wood and really make the shavings fly. With dried wood the job is quite different. I've been hollowing a small, dried, very-very hard vase. And after many hours, progress is minimal. Richard Raffan would have done six boxes (wet) by now. Use club members for guidance, they live closer to the real world.

Use green wood if at all possible, then you can make shavings fly too!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Aaron if you want to turn bowls and can afford it I would get at least a 16" swing lathe. I have a 12" and find it limiting and awkward to use since most things I like to turn are at least 10" or so in diameter. (tool rest won't slide under them.) I would like to replace my 12" with a Powermatic 20" someday .
    Sparky Paessler

AB,

I think you are wise looking to get a good sized lathe with bowls being an aspiration. I have a Jet Mini and a full-sized 14" lathe and turn bowls on both of them. I was surprised to find out I could turn a nearly 10"-diameter bowl on the mini!
    I have a few stories on various turning things, tools and techniques at the link below if some light reading will be helpful while you await the lathe and you no longer have time to read, eat, sleep..........

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/index.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Thank you for all the input. I've taken your advice and found my local woodturning group (which is only about 20 minutes away) so I am hoping to join them for their next meeting and learn what I can. I also plan to order a few of the books that were recommended so I can educate myself a little more. Thanks for the web link Tim, the info on there is great!

As I begin the process of searching for a lathe can any of you point out some brands to look for/stay away from? I see a fair number of people on here like Grizzly and I see mixed reports on Jet...any other makes I should consider?

Thanks again!